Does any one do picture framing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Easy enough to do it yourself with minimal tools Tengu - you just need a mitre box, sharp saw and a glass cutter if it isn't oils

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you ever want to get into it in a big way you could try a course at an artr centre of some kind. I did it a few years ago and the kit they have makes it so much easier eg you put a straight piece of wood into this chopper machine that had a right angled blade and it cut perfect mitres very easily every time.

Same with cutting picture mounts - and in my experience any picture will look times better when set in a mount. The kit I used cut bevelled holes for the picture to 'sit' in. Much neater than doing it with a stanley type knife.

By the way, mounts generally look better if the bottom 'edge' is wider than the other three, rather than having them all the same width all the way round (which it how the commercial ones are that you sometimes get when you buy a picture frame)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The machine is a (Morso) guilotine. Overcut mount cutters are great for some pictures (not oils though). A cheap version can be bought for a tenner.

It is a good skill and kept me fed for a year or two of hard times.

Complex stuff is tricky and needs great skill or good tools. Oval mounts are a pig to cut freehand (but I knew an old guy who could do it - I just used a machine). Swept frames are a pig to make and harder to restore. Flipping water gilding is so painstaking.

That said a nice, basic, rectangular frame, with glass, mount, back board etc. is well withing the reach of anyone with a few cheap hand tools.

Go on Tengu - have at it!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My family business is picture framing. Gimme a shout if you need awt.
Red yer right there, saw me through a few years traveling abroad when they wouldnt trust a brit with IT work??

Have been framing and glazing since i was 6 years old :) Still have to do the odd weekend for the family even though i have my own IT firm, i will never be able to quit! they keep threatening to sack me but neer go through with it :(

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Dwardo, you guys must be making a fortune. The last three things I had framed were between £600 and £900 to get done.

Nope, I'm not kidding!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Its the glass thats the expensive part. Non reflective or some such. It does make a massive difference though to the finished effect though. Daresay Dwardo could expand more on it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Non reflective isn't that expensive. I just had some antique maps framed in frames probably maybe a foot by three foot in size, with double opening mounts (map and description page in same frame), back boards, non reflective glass etc. they were still well under a hundred each to be framed.

A £900 frame job must be huuuuuuge or very tricky. I rarely made any in that price range - but if you get into swept frames (the ones with plaster moulding for oils) or really large one swith special features (e.g. frames for three dimensional objects) then the price can rise quickly

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE