do you have a folder for when its better to be discreet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
when i was out the other day i was very conscious of the knife on my backpack belt.
i certainly wouldn't have it visible in town or in big crowds,so i thought i had better get a folder that's more discreet for those times.

what do you carry on those occasions?

i ordered a EKA swede 8 today
the price is good and it looks quality.
we don't get the excellent pouch in the UK though?

since joining here i have spent to much,mostly on small things,this will be the last :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FkNRWy6szA

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/EKA-Knives/EKA-Knives-Swede-8/p-92-134-6031/

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I usually carry a necker when I'm in a place where there's likely to be other folk, just not worth the hassle.

I have walked across petrol forecourts a few times with a woody on my belt and you get some funny looks, especially off the cashier

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have two folders that i carry regularly. One is a Kershaw blue mountain and the other is a Leatherman folder. Unfortunatley both have locking blades but there carried discretley.
IMG-20110330-00020.jpg

Last edited:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Just looking at a new folder just now, I only take a fixed blade when I'm out camping I just wouldn't have a reason for carrying a fixed blade knife in the town. I'm also trying to breakaway from Opinels but the cheapness draws me back.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I now carry my folder in the stockman style case after i made one for a customer and thought what a good idea.

Topknot

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
"since joining here i have spent to much,mostly on small things,this will be the last"

Hee Hee
How many times have we all thought that?
Who wants to start a sweepstake ?
I'll give him two weeks

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I love folders, I made this one last year and use it loads for that reason. Fits in the pocket as an edc, only comes out when needed. Out of sight, out of mind;

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

Sometimes I use a British Army folder instead if I'm in sandy environments.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'm assuming you're talking about when you're still able to carry a fixed knife / locking knife. If I'm out walking or hiking my knife stays in my pack till I need it. I do always have my Spyderco UKPK on me, though, which tends to do most cutting.

I'm thinking a small fixed knife should draw less attention when other people are around than some of the bigger knives and be more all purpose than a folder

Last edited:

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Victorinox solo red alox for me, 20p off a car boot :D

Been taking this instead of the mora to see if I can permenantly eliminate the most controversial bit of kit I carry when I nip out to the woods.

bearbait

It's interesting how attitudes to "weapons" vary in different cultures. I was standing in a bank queue up in the Yukon Territory last summer and the guy in front of me quite clearly had an open carry of a fixed blade knife. Noone in the bank batted an eyelid. Not even the bank teller when she served him. And the banks in the YT don't have the massive screens protecting the tellers that the banks do in the UK.

I also recall some years ago in Florida - before the era of global terrorism - a sign at the check-in desk at the airport asking us to unload our firearms before boarding the aircraft.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have big hands,so I have two folding German army knives as daily carry,one for work one in my jeans both have had 1/8th of an inch removed from the tip of the blade & re profiled to comply with S 139 Criminal Justice Act 1988 (points & blades).

139 Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.E+W

(1)Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(5)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

(c)as part of any national costume.

(6)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall be liable-

[F1(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or both;

(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding [F2four] years, or a fine, or both.]

(7)In this section “public place” includes any place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on payment or otherwise.

Because of perverse judgements made by 2 judges in particular A lock Knife is NOT a folding pocket knife for the purposes of this act although Parliament meant Lock Knives to be included..

I shoot, I have FAC & shotgun certificate, I worry more about being stoped by police with my fixed blade than any gun or rifle when off hunting let alone even a folding pocket knife in a public place.

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I always carry a sub-3 inch folding blade on me anyway.

If I'm out in the sticks and I happen to be somewhere where I feel people might not like the look of a belt knife, then I put it in a bag. Simples.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
When I completed my initial Scout leader training I was asked by my verifier if I carried a knife and a firesteel. I said no and was politely but firmly reminded that they are no good to me at home in an emergency - which is of course very true. I carry a small SAK now as a matter if course................I will start carrying a firesteel when I can finally start a fire with one (that's this years mission)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE