Do You Feel a Spiritual Connection with the Woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have no bone to pick either - but it would be nice if folk would read a dictionary to find out the meaning of "spiritual", Spiritualist", "science" etc before getting rude about things...Understanding the OPs question rather depends on understanding the terms of reference! Wiki is (for once) quite useful in this :)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
There shouldn't be any nastiness here folks. These are people's opinions of which we all have one and are all entitled to. It's not for me to tell someone there opinion is wrong, is it spiritual for me...no. Is it spiritual for other people...yes. So what!
we are all individuals and we all see things in our own way, there's no right or wrong in it, it's how you feel as an individual and I wouldn't dream of telling someone there opinion is wrong......I haven't got the right. In fact, for me, other people's opinions should be respected even if i don't agree. I don't think it's right to tell someone how they should feel.
This is just my opinion.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There shouldn't be any nastiness here folks. These are people's opinions of which we all have one and are all entitled to. It's not for me to tell someone there opinion is wrong, is it spiritual for me...no. Is it spiritual for other people...yes. So what!
we are all individuals and we all see things in our own way, there's no right or wrong in it, it's how you feel as an individual and I wouldn't dream of telling someone there opinion is wrong......I haven't got the right. In fact, for me, other people's opinions should be respected even if i don't agree. I don't think it's right to tell someone how they should feel.
This is just my opinion.
Totally agreed!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What has morality to do with it? Most religions (certainly the pagan ones) have none

Morality and religion aren't intrinsically linked in anyway. Both "evil" (selfishness, greed, violence etc) and "good" a social moral conscience (sharing, helping, caring) are effective survival strategies. The former favours "lone wolves", the latter favours a pack.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
to me, everything is spiritual! :nana:

cleaning up rubbish, writing a letter, going to the toilet, arguing with someone, agreeing with someone, eating, fasting, drinking, breathing..... life, death :puppy_dog (although i've not yet gone there... hope to keep the death experience as a one time, last thing i do, kind of thing...:rolleyes:)

somethings are more pleasant than others tho :lmao:

circumstances that i'm in affect the spiritual nature of the experience,
the people i'm with affect my spirit
a walk in the woods affects my spirit and the type of woodland - man made, undisturbed, a mix of both, a young self seeded place or a man managed place - they are all similar yet unique.
a pine wood in one location can be different spiritually for me than a pine forrest in another location...

how about you... :offtopic:

austin

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
to me, everything is spiritual! :nana:

cleaning up rubbish, writing a letter, going to the toilet, arguing with someone, agreeing with someone, eating, fasting, drinking, breathing..... life, death :puppy_dog (although i've not yet gone there... hope to keep the death experience as a one time, last thing i do, kind of thing...:rolleyes:)

somethings are more pleasant than others tho :lmao:

circumstances that i'm in affect the spiritual nature of the experience,
the people i'm with affect my spirit
a walk in the woods affects my spirit and the type of woodland - man made, undisturbed, a mix of both, a young self seeded place or a man managed place - they are all similar yet unique.
a pine wood in one location can be different spiritually for me than a pine forrest in another location...

how about you... :offtopic:

austin

+1 to that , it works for me too.

And
as the word "pagan" comes from the Latin "paganus" meaning "of the land" anyone who is "of the land" (wledig) is pagan, whatever tradition they choose to be a part of, even if it doesn't happen to be one you like! Not that that has anything to do with the OP which was about whether or nor one feels a sense of spiritual connection to the land when out being bushie.

It seems many people do feel a spiritual connection to the land, in their own and different ways. But ... there also seem to be those who wish to hijack the thread and go into their own beliefs (whether of a spiritual nature or not) as though they are the only authority and telling others what they are or are not, or that their ideas are some form of rubbish. Definitely a -100 to all that !!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But they are not real pagans. Try something like Bon or Shinto

I suspect religious comparison breaks the rules so we can agree to disagree - the term "pagan" is hardly precise - even its Latin etymology shows a lack of clarity

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I figured the following description might go deeper into what we have been talking about

"Spiritual" is One word to point to the experience we have when our "personal thinking"/the noise in our head quietens down enough for us to experience life in a better/more complete/easier way. "Chilling Out", "Unplugging", "Switching Off" and "Recharging" are some of the other ones.

Improve/Replace as you see fit.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
so, :pokenest:

do we have a brave enough soul who is willing to start a *NEW* post on defining words, like say PAGAN, SPIRITUAL, NATURE, THREAD-JACKING, and the like.... :BlueTeamE
i'm (almost) sure that there will be some *VERY* good forums for that on other / different websites - maybe www.imallwaysright.biz - or - www.1viewmyview.im.adik etc :goodluck:

think i'll go hug a tree, or drop a hammer on mi foot or stick pins in mi eyes... or something... :naughty:

hey! depending on what belief i choose to follow or drop today, i might go and drop a hammer on some one *ELSE*'s foot.... :tapedshut
:goodnight:

austin

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Why do we always try to quantify/qualify our feelings??? I'm sorry but I have always enjoyed being "outdoors" and for me it is a selfish, self-indulgence that I couldn't do without :) For me it has always been the simple things - like laying on your back in a meadow in the summer just listening to skylarks !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE