Do you always wear your hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Always wear my Tilley. Stops me getting burnt in the sun (which happens oh so quickly) and keeps me dry in the rain!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Flat cap - I've got a wide-brimmed hat but they're rubbish for moving about in the woods and getting through undergrowth because they keep getting snagged up.
The flat cap stays on better and still offers a bit of protection from brambles/spikey stuff.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I used to always wear my Australian suede bush hat, even when heading into town.
At Uni I got nickname Indi (as in indian jones as it was a similar stlye)

Unfortunatly my sister set fire to it and I haven't been able to find a replacement yet.
So far this winter I've been wearing an icebreaker beenie hat and my winter furry hat tp keep my ears warm.
I've even been wearing my buff as a hat in the house when the temps got down to 3C inside!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Gill and his hat on the water...

026-1.jpg

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I wear an Australian style hat every now and then - though it needs to be justified, i.e. sunny/wet

around town if it's cold I wear a thin wool black watch style hat.

Andy

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
'nother flat cap wearer. Tried brimmed hats in winter, but you're constantly worried about flying off and if I'm working and builkding up a sweat I can take it off and stick it in a pocket. Wear a tilley type hat in summer or a straw one if it's really hot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rarely ever go out without a hat. If I'm going to a sports event I try to wear the team's hat. I've also got an Akubra Snowy River that is awesome as well as a black Sretson 3 1/2 inch brim. Both are great in the woods are about town. Got a wool flat cap from Filkins Woolen Mills (I need a couple more of those or a waxed cotton one) SOmehow I lost my Dad's pith Safari hat/helmet that he wore all through Panama and Central America. I remember him always wearing that hat when I was growing up. I did manage to get a replacement though and this Summer I plan to wear it extensively to put sweat stains and such on it. Then I intend to mount it on the wall over his crossed machetes (they're the real one he aquired and carried in Panama and Mississippi) I'm lucky about hats blending in here. I'm surrounded by a 30-60 mile military reservation to the South that's open to public recreation; a State Park to the North and West that spans 3 counties and a National park to the north that spans 3 Alabama counties. It's also a redneck area overlapped by a huge military presence al of whom are outdoor, hat wearing people (I fit in perfectly being a retired military redneck myself. LOL)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Personally I love baseball caps (the good ones anyway, not the cheap plastic mesh things) but the Akubras are brilliant.

Last edited:

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
I wear a Wool Watch Cap, got it on a climbing trip to the lakes about 5 years ago. Just would not be without it, I keeping thinking of getting a new one but I feel I am being a little bit unfaithful, as it has seen me though some bad weather.

Regards
Rum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE