Do Try This At Home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi there. Not that you lot need any incouragement but here we go. For no other reason that it seemed like a good idea at the time and it's good to encourage people to get out and about I have started blagging people on my blog. I'm trying to get as many people to sleep out on the 21st June this year, summer solstice don't you know? The idea is to get everyone out, no tents, in a basha or just under the stars to take a bit of time out and appreciate life for a bit.

I guess I'm pushing at an open door with you lot.

Anyway I'm a bit lazy and a bit busy so please excuse me if I just copy what was written on my blog.

This is just to set out what the GREAT BIG SLEEP OUT is all about as there has been some confusion. Basically it is an invitation to you all to sleep out on my last night wherever you are in the country, or even world wide. My last night out is June the 21st, that’s the summer solstice; the longest day of the year. Now if that’s not the reason to get out into the wilds and celebrate I don’t know what is. So for one night only cast aside your mobile phones, your houses and, preferably your tents, and grab your friends and a picnic (beer) and head to the countryside for a GREAT BIG SLEEP OUT. So what counts as countryside? The woods, meadows, parks, beaches (check the tide times), hills, mountains, roof gardens or wherever else you might find. If you fancied it you could always raise some sponsorship for the Woodland Trust.

If you are going to go for this please leave a comment bellow or email me hugh.sawyer@gmail.com with Great Big Sleep Out (GBSO) in the title, so far positive responses have come in from England, Thailand, France, Japan and even as far afield as Wales! I’m thinking it would be good if whoever slept out sent me stories of the night and then they could get stuck together on a blog for posterity.

Remember: do get permission from the landowner.

Hope to be hearing from some of you

Hugh

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Good stuff. The more the merrier. I'm probably camping in Scotland then, so maybe I'll be doing it by default (although probably still within the tent unless Scotland suddenly decides it won't rain for once).

Good luck with the rest of your stay in the outdoors. Hopefully the weather will continue to improve and the winter can be well and truly put behind you!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Hugh, Now that's agood idea :D I usually spend the sostices and equinoxes out with friends anyway, but I do like your challenge.

Cheers,
Toddy

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
I'm in...a mean out. Sounds like a great idea. I'm planning on doing a little solo canoe trip down the Wye around that time so count me in on the Big sleep Out.
In the meantime I'll spread the word.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Hugh,
Great idea its my 50th on the 16th me and the wife will be in Scotland or Sweden then,under the stars.She wanted a hotel(luxury)I want the wilderness,after all its my birthday. :You_Rock_
Clayton

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Wenie said:
You knows it dude. :lmao:

So did everyone who said they would get out for the solstice manage to stay out? Hope you all had fun if you did. :)

Going again for the winter celebrations in December? That'll be more of a test of your bushcraft skills - ie making a nice warm cup of tea using only the limited amount of kit you're allowed to take to the stones... :rolleyes:

L

Liath

I was out all night, but didn't go to sleep - the whole point for me is to stay up and see the dawn in! When I did go to sleep, it was just crashed on my mate's floor on a pile of sheepskins, which is cheating I suppose ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE