Do combat boots give better ankle protection?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yep, some interesting reading there, and my thoughts on the subject remain pretty much unchanged in terms of what I need my feet and legs to do for me whilst out and about in the woods and on the sort of terrain I encounter.

If you approach this from the point of view of a lightweight hiker or runner, the " strengthen your musculature and retrain your feet" way to go is a reasonable one, but it's conditional to some extent. You need to have the time
and opportunity do do this, and continue to do it. You will also need to be the right age and fitness level for it to be of benefit. I've only turned an ankle once or twice badly enough to be a worry and both times were long ago and wearing low-cut shoes, it's never happened in well fitting and properly laced boots though. The other thing that's happened often when wearing low shoes, and to me much more worrying, is damaging the protruding part of my ankle bone by scuffing on rocks and roots, usually during or as a result of a bad slip or slide on wet ground and whilst wearing a pack. Again, this has never been a problem for me when wearing high boots correctly.

I guess like many things, you have to work out what works best for you both from the point of view of what you are doing and also how your physical condition dictates what will suit best.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I finally got around to seeing a physio and my ankle has a lot of scar tissue but he freed it off (that got rid of all the aching) and I have a series of exercises to build up the muscles and propriaceptors again. Interestingly enough, my 'good' ankle is also quite weak so thats getting the exercises as well.

Boot wise I've bought a pair of Lowa Mountain Boots and they are great, really comfortable and the extra support feels really good on my ankle. I'm still breaking them in at the moment but I think its definitely the right move - the boots feel right for me.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The support for the ankle is heavily affected by the support given BELOW the ankle, to ligaments and tendons, so although combat boots do give a "splinting" effect a lower cut boot can give more support than some higher cut boots.

Late to this thread an John Fenna is talking a lot of sense.

I've learnt a lot over the years about foot stability and footwear due to my main interest is walking in the hills and fells of the Lakes and further afield. My ankle was always weak and I would turn my ankle about 3 or 4 times on a walk. Often I would end up limping off the hills and spend the week recovering so I can get out the next weekend. I used to walk, since student days, in Scarpa SLs and walked so much I went through a pair in less than 18 months in the end. I used to sprain my ankle a lot, sometimes with that shooting pain that goes up your shin bone as you drop like a sack of 80kg spuds.

My first attempt at a solution was a serious pair of high cuff mountain boots / 4 season. They had a B2 sole unit like the Scarpa Mantas opnly with a higher cuff that also had a very technical cut in thicker, full grain leather (the thickest leather used among the main brands at the time). It had a flex in the right way at the ankle and really was an innovation in boots that even the newer Scarpa Mantas now copy at the ankle. It did not help one bit. In fact I learnt that it did not offer any improved stability and if I did go over the vice like grip on the ankle meant it spread the sprain higher and caused me more pain. I would now take a few weeks to get back into walking the damage was so bad.

Cue a new trend that was happening back then for lighter footwear, even fell shoes!!! I took the plunge with a pair of innov8 roclite 315s. Cracking shoe and one that didn't stop me turning my ankle but I suddenly realised my ankle was free to move as it is designed to preventing serious damage and I often was able to catch the turned ankle before I dropped like a tonne of bricks. 6 months later I had strengthened my ankle and I stopped turning it. I was by now onto my second or even third fell shoe with them lasting about 2.5 to 9 months. Nope, I was on my second which was the discontinued Montrail Highlander (lasted a personal record of 9 months).

SO my advice based on hard won experience is that if it is walking in the hills you need to strengthen your ankle. You need to allow it to work as it was designed which means no rigid splint. That only drives the damage further up the leg, well rather it damages your ankle but spreads the damage a bit more. At the very least I found that the top of my ankle was fixed with the cuff and the laces gripped the lower / foot. Result was the actual joint components (the tendons ./ ligaments not sure which) got kind of stetched and damaged.

If I was you (and I was a good few years ago) get a good pair of mids. If you read the expert advice on some gear reviewer magazine articles you often read comments like the stability comes from the footbed and the way the heel cup grip your foot not from the cuff. I think in the better military boots they are realising this too.

Please note that I am not recommending trail shoes for everyone. I only did it for myself and it worked. What I am advocating is to allow your ankle and foot to work how it is meant to by not putting it in a rigid outer covering (high cuff boot). Perhaps take shorter walks using mids or fell shoes. /build up. Mind you if you want to try the fell shoe approach bear in mind it takes at least 6 months to notice a positive affect IME. It is no good trying it for one walk and saying it doesn't work. I would say I was doing over 1000 miles a year with all the challenge walks, most weekends both saturday and sunday walking 15 miles plus a day and often evening walks. I did 50 milers once or twice and every year a 40 miler for charity with associated training walks. Well it wasn't a race but you always wanted to beat some people / certain teams you keep meeting each year so you did train for it.

I hope you sort your ankle out as it is not fun getting injured doing what you like and not being able to do it for some time. Been there, bought the ankle supports, deep heat, ice packs, bandages, pain killers and doctors visits. in fact the whole gammut short of surgery and buying the t-shirt!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yep, some interesting reading there, and my thoughts on the subject remain pretty much unchanged in terms of what I need my feet and legs to do for me whilst out and about in the woods and on the sort of terrain I encounter.

If you approach this from the point of view of a lightweight hiker or runner, the " strengthen your musculature and retrain your feet" way to go is a reasonable one, but it's conditional to some extent. You need to have the time
and opportunity do do this, and continue to do it. You will also need to be the right age and fitness level for it to be of benefit. I've only turned an ankle once or twice badly enough to be a worry and both times were long ago and wearing low-cut shoes, it's never happened in well fitting and properly laced boots though. The other thing that's happened often when wearing low shoes, and to me much more worrying, is damaging the protruding part of my ankle bone by scuffing on rocks and roots, usually during or as a result of a bad slip or slide on wet ground and whilst wearing a pack. Again, this has never been a problem for me when wearing high boots correctly.

I guess like many things, you have to work out what works best for you both from the point of view of what you are doing and also how your physical condition dictates what will suit best.

Another sensible post. I agree that you have to find a solution that suits you. There are many types out there from the racing snake to the heavy footed. I am a very clumsy individual but it worked for me and I am not a runner but a plodder who just keeps going.

I have to say I have the complete opposite experience regarding boots and low shoes. I have never turned my ankle seriously or at all once I had been wearing fell shoes for some time. Even now when I go back to boots, which I did recently with a good pair of Raichle/Mammut mountain boots, I find I turn my ankle. It is not just for me that I have strengthened my foot/ankle. The truth of the matter for me is lighter, fell shoes allow me more stability and agility. my foot gets put down where i want to and IF I do put it down in an unstable manner I catch my fall/turning ankle before damage. That is not to say I think Macaroon is wrong. I fully accept that others do have the opposite experience. I only say you can not know for sure what works without trying it and trying it seriously.

The one thing I will say is to tailor the footwear for terrain. I walk in the Lakes, Snowdonia and Highlands but mostly the Lakes. We are talking rocky terrain but also muddy/boggy terrain. I will never wear trail shoes of the type that is meant for forest tracks, the type that is closer to road running trainers. I also find the walking shoe unsuitable for my usual terrain. I go for out and out fell runners shoes or the type very close to that. The innov8 315s, Walsh spirits (a bit closer to trail but very good) and I might try a pair of Mizuna Wave 3 (or is the 4 out now). I will also go to a really good running shop for it in the area I walk. in my case Pete Bland Sports. They sell to all sorts and should know what is right for you. They even have gait analysis through video recording on a treadmill. heartily recommend them. Not for boots just fell shoes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE