DIY Metal Lids

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Hey guys,

I'm after a few metal lids for my crusader mug and tatonka mug.

I have a sheet of aluminium but have no idea of the best way to cut it out. Then im hoping to make a wooden template of the top of the mug and bend it over.

Then would like to add a little D ring to hold it but not sure how to do this either

Is there a good way of doing this? Or anyone who could do it for me if i send them the materials and cover postage and pay them a little ?

Thank you :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Its kinda long-winded but here's a quick & dirty method that I've used in the past....

Draw around the top of your mug / crusader pot onto a piece of 1/2" (12mm) thick board (or plastic, MDF, plywood etc.) Cut it out, smooth with sandpaper and round over the corner that will replicate the top of the vessel.
Cut another one but don't worry about smoothing.

Now cut your metal to the profile of the mug top plus 3/8" (10mm).

Clamp the metal between the two layers of wood in a large vice.

Gently and slowly hammer the edge of the metal over the curve of the corner until it forms a 90 degree corner - this is the bit that will take most time, be careful and go around the entire edge several times to ensure the bend is even and does not crimp. You can use a wooden punch to direct the force of the hammer blows and guide the metal where you want it to go.

Remove the lid from the vice and place it up-side-down on a flat surface - now draw a horizontal line around the lip about 6 to 8mm above the surface.

File the lip so that it is level all round, has no sharp burrs and looks good.

Fit the handle of your choice, a "D" ring, top-hat loop or whatever.

Take to your next bushy meeting and bask in the glory of having made it yourself!

ATB

Ogri the trog

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've formed aluminum ribs for C-130s in a similar manner. Just don't use a metal hammer; use a leather mallet instead. Oh! It only works if you're using annealed aluminum; don't try to hand form the lip if it's tempered. It'll crack.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Thank you everyone! and thank you Ogri for the great post.

Have drawn the shapes out on the metal and will be giving it a go when i have some time :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Cheapo one
Lid from Fray bentos pie tin ( any flavor) Draw round edge of mug and add a bit. Pound shop tin snips or dremel. Snip/ cut every half inch bend over, Sorted. It only to keep flies out after all.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
As Santaman says, you'll be much better off if you anneal the aluminium beforehand; Rub some ordinary hand soap over your cut out piece and then heat it up using a blowtorch. Once the soap turns black you will know that it has reached the correct temperature. Leave it to cool and then go to work. Remember that aluminium age hardens, so the annealing that you've done won't last forever.

You may find that it's best to cut out 2 mdf/plywood formers and sandwich the annealed aluminium between them (as Ogri says) - this helps prevent the edges mis-forming when you start hammering them.

Make a small aluminium strip and use rivets to hold your d ring in place. Good luck and here's looking forward to the results!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE