DIY Machette Sheath - First Go

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Been meaning to do this for ages, bought a machette (one of many!) with a good blade and handle but the sheath was awful, so decided to try the Kydex route. Bought some kydex and foam for moulding, but its been sat for ages.

This weekend I decided to get on with it! I've watched a few youtube videos of how people make them for knives but none seen so far on machettes.

Decided I prefer a little leather on it instead of all kydex, especially the belt loop as I need a bit of flexibility when pulling the blade out.

Took a couple of goes in the oven before I got the right mould, must say its very easy to work with, as long as your quick!

Anyway, here's the pics:

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8232.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

There's some marks on the sheath where the glue that was holding the foam together hadn't dried (from the previous night). I should probably have glued the leather around the rim as it moves slightly, despite being riveted in. I also should have made it slightly larger as its quite tight. I used one of the hole type rivets at the bottom so I could use a leg loop if req'd, there's also a gap at the bottom for water drainage.

I think it'll do, but revisions would be made for another one. The biggest problem is riveting when its alredy folded, you can't do it until its folded though as it might not set exactly as you want it...

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
To be honest I just wanted to try it out as I haven't used it before. I've made leather sheaths for axes and knives and have to say I much prefer them, but as you say, if it's used in the jungle. Mind you this was bought in Brasil where I used to live in Brasilia which is actually pretty dry, but they still use them over axes.

It certainly takes alot less time to make something out of kydex, but it just seems a bit too military for my liking, no real soul to it compared to a handcrafted leather one.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks lovely, although I'm not a big fan of kydex either I love the hybrid you made here, kinda brings the best of both worlds.
Cool lil sheath, and I indeed hope to see a fancy leather one too someday ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
There are big benefits to kydex, very robust, easy to shape to the blade, quick to make. Downsides are its hard with no flexibility and a bit pricey for what it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE