DIY Hammock Down underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
pbpic4377928.jpg

pbpic4377930.jpg

pbpic4377932.jpg

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
For the test hang I just use the bungee cord either end. It will either have set of loops added as per my 1st quilt or an additional length of cord/bungee added to the channels either end. The bungee clips into the carabiners I use either end of the hammock.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Very nice, a hammock underblanket is real luxoury. The one which was offered on here in the groupbuys was good quality. Just the size was a bit much because it's syntethic insulation. Your down underblanket seems to pack very small! Great job. Do you have any way of being able to lower or higher the underblanket while lying in the hammock? It's a handy feat. when it get's too hot... and after a while too cold.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I had more material kicking around so decided to make another last night. This one is 153cm long and 117cm wide. Over 180g of siberian goose down. Pertex microlight inner and a 1.1 black ripstop. The Black has a silver PU coating on the inside.

pbpic4397289.jpg

pbpic4397287.jpg

pbpic4397285.jpg

pbpic4397284.jpg

pbpic4397291.jpg

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
These are looking realy good. I like the way you just knock them up in an evening. How do you keep the down from getting all over the place?

Does the silver coated material add much weight? Would the design be easily adaptable to a Hennessy asymetrical? Really need something toasty on the underside as I've soaked my bedding in sweat while freezing the butt...would you consider selling one of these?

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
The down went all over the place this time. Fortunately the colour of the carpet hides the mess I make.

There is no reason why it shouldn't work on a hennessey. i know guys in the states do. I believe that additional tie outs are added to prevent the quilt popping off to the side. It would be an extremely quick mod. I'll PM you.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Very nice job! Slightly OT question, but:

I have some OG pertex 6 that I was thinking of making a down gilet with. How many 100g lots of down did you need for a whole quilt? (Since I reckon I could get away with a fraction of that for a gilet.)

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE