DIY Hammock Down underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That looks superb. My wife made me an underblanket a few years ago, not down though. I'd be very interested to read your review when you get to use it.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Just sorted out the suspension system on the underquilt. I have added short loops of red grossgrain to each corner and shockcord to attach it to the hammock.

Just been lying out in the back yard looking at the stars.

pbpic4296912.jpg

pbpic4296909.jpg

Even in the summer the draught under you robs heat, but what a difference with the quilt. It's around 4 deg C outside with windchill and my back was toasty warm. The quilt covers from my shoulders down to below the knee (I'm 6ft 1).

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
No 2 is now just about complete. Slightly narrower which should be a better fit on the hammock. It will also pack much smaller. 1.1 Ripstop pertex both sides. 170g of 800 fill down. Approx 54" by 37" . 5 baffles with a differentiated down distribution. More down on the central 3 compared to the two sides.

pbpic4322585.jpg

pbpic4322596.jpg

pbpic4322580.jpg

Just need to add the hanging system. I plan on using two different colours of grossgrain to help identify head/foot end.

Next project will a synthetic version :)

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Much happier with the stitching this time. The quilt has now fully lofted overnight. The down had been bagged and has now fully lofted.

Really pleased with it. Would folk actually be interested? The down is around £40 worth plus 2m or so of pertex, so I reckon all that plus raw materials are £60 or more.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Would folk actually be interested?

I would, depending on the price. Mind you a Jacks 'r Better down underblanket/underquilt costs around $ 300, so anything well below that would be intereseting. The only other option now is the Snugpak underblanket for around GBP 70,-.

pbpic4298541.jpg

It'll compress to half the height.

So is this already compressed, or still to be compressed?

I tried making one of these a while back now.. and one thing I looked at was that at the top, the blanket was getting folded up.. so I cut it to a wedge.. meaning less weight, and less bulk.. it fitted the hammock like a glove too..

I had it made the full size of the hammock though. from an old synthetic sleeping bag..

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Number 3 is now complete. This one has over 350g of siberian goose down, so is super warm. Black 1.1 ripstop outer and Pertex microlight inner. Just under 160cm long. So when sleeping on the diagonal in the hammock provides almost total coverage.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can't see the pics this time fella

Looking forward to seeing how these are progressing, my wallet's been twitching for a few weeks now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE