Project FrankenHammock DIY Hammock + Down cocoon all in one.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Im trying to reduce kit size and weight and also on a massive kit whoring session and my brain has been spinning with a new idea.
:thinkerg:
Firstly i always use my snugpak underquilt even in summer as at night i get a bit cold.
I want to lighten my load and pack my kit away smaller.
I want it to be modular.
I have also been playing with the idea of a peapod/cocoon, using an old sleeping bag round my hammock and i must say i have been too hot most night so far. (will be great in winter)

So my idea is to.............

Make a hammock with the down underquilt as part of it......
basically fill the gap between the layers for the mat with down and baffles, then add dual zips along each edge for zipping on a Midge net in summer and a down top quilt (peapod style) for winter.

I want to use a waterproof lower layer to protect the down from getting wet and allowing the use of it as a ground mat if i ever need to go to ground, or no trees, or suspension breaks etc.
Also bring the waterproof layer up over each end like the TW Hammock do to protect from rain blown in the tarp ends.
The midge net will be black so its easy to see through and able to be zippered on and cinched round each end for protection
(like the new DD modular jungle hammock)
And i will make a top part to zip on for winter that will be down and have a mesh area over the face for ventilation and condensation control.

First problem i see is stitching the baffles to the hammock and then getting in will stretch and break the stitches
So i need to make a sleeping layer a few inches smaller than the quilt layer to keep me from pulling on the stitches.

Second problem is i will need less down in the ends when i make it (laying open and flat) so when its cinched at the up im not wasting down and adding unneeded weight.

Third problem is i have a lot of questions........

Question i need help with please.
1. What is the lightest waterproof material i can use for the outer layer that will be able able to withstand the use?
Im hoping 2oz will be enough but im new to this so dont know what 2oz looks/feels like, nothing to compare it to.

2. Where can i buy the down from, dont realy want to buy pillows etc to find they have feathers mixed in etc?

3. Can anyone point me towards a good supplier for materials (pointnorth is one i know)

4. Is there any special thread to use for weight bearing parts?

5. what can i use to re waterproof the outer layer ones the stitching has made holes all through it?
Or is there a material glue i could use thats strong enough to hold the baffles in place?

6. How much down is needed for a 3 season fill???

7. What material to use for the hammock piece?

8. Is there anyone that wants to shoot me now and just end this misery before it begins..........:lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the general opinion when folk mention this on hammockforums is that you're better off keeping the quilts and hammock separate. By stitching through the base of the hammock you're creating a lot of weak spots for tears to start, if you keep the quilts separate you then have a modular system which you can alter as the seasons change. Compression is going to be an issue unless you can make the outer shell and baffles with a differential cut, a lot easier to achieve this if you have separate quilts. Adjustability would be another issue, with it being sewn-in you wouldn't be able to vent it if the weather warms up, with a quilt you can release the suspension a little and create more airflow. The last issue I have is if you create a 3 season hammock/quilt combo, come summer time and you're zipping your bug net on, would you want 3 season insulation?

I honestly don't think there's much weight and bulk saving to be had by creating a single unit. But there's nothing to stop you trying, I'd love to see the project happen.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Shewie, like i said i use my Snugpak under blanket all through summer and keep it cinched up, it never comes off my hammock even when i put it in the bergen.
The idea is to save the extra faff of using chords etc to hold the UB on,
If i get too hot i just get out my dos bag. Yes i use one in summer too.!!
I sleep cold.

Big question now is where can i get a zip that closes from both ends but is able to be taken off????
All the zips i can find are the wrong way round.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
That should not be a problem as im using a breathable waterproof layer for the other side.
Outer layer - DPM 2oz ripstop PU nylon
Inner layer - SKYLON - OLIVE product description
Finely woven nylon, showerproof and wind resistant; Moisture wicking; Quick drying
Very similar to Pertex 4
Ideal for jackets, windshirts, trousers, stuff sacks, inner tents or outer for fleece and fibrepile clothing.
Also used for sleeping bags, insulation. Down proof;

On another note i will only be using it for a couple of nights in a row so will never be a problem before i take it home and hang it to dry.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie, like i said i use my Snugpak under blanket all through summer and keep it cinched up, it never comes off my hammock even when i put it in the bergen.
The idea is to save the extra faff of using chords etc to hold the UB on,
If i get too hot i just get out my dos bag. Yes i use one in summer too.!!
I sleep cold.

Big question now is where can i get a zip that closes from both ends but is able to be taken off????
All the zips i can find are the wrong way round.

Once you get away from the Snugpak underblanket you'll notice all the other equivalents don't use the complicated bungee system, just a simple loop of shockcord running all the way around and through the edge channel which then hooks over each end of your hammock. The weight of the Primaloft in the Snugpak means it needs it various support cords, with down you can get away without them.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Im trying to do away with as much as i do not need or use.
I really want to keep the UB constantly attached to the Hammock,

I want to find a way of not having to worry about the stitches splitting on the baffles inside the hammock where i sleep.
If i can do that then i can get rid of the skylon layer and just have the hammock layer and then the outer to save even more weight.

Another problem i have heard of after reading Just Jeffs homemade gear on his website.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock.html
Is that the hammock stretches when you get in which makes you compress the down underneath you.
So i will be making the baffles 4-5inchs instead of the 3 so i have room to compress a little before it starts to affect the down.

Maybe keeping the hammock and UB seperate is not such a bad idea??????

I will keep looking.........

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
So after a lot of research and reading up from Hammock forums
I have decided to just built a modular down cocoon around a single layer hammock.
Apparently my ideas has been tried before without much success

so here is the plan........

Main under quilt.

210cm long
150cm wide
8-9 baffles
Cinchable ends for ventilation
600g fill of 900+ down
webbing and elastic on each corner for suspension.
Full length zips each side to attach top piece of cocoon in winter or bug net in summer.

Outer layer made from Camoflauge (mtp) waterproof fabric
so it can be used as a bivvy in emergencys (suspension breakdown)
Inner layer black pertex to allow down to breath.

Top piece

210cm long
6-8 inches wide at feet tapering upto
15-18 inches at shoulders/head end. Maybe longer to compensate for being pulled away from face by suspension.
Mesh area by face to allow breath to escape with velcro adjustable cover to aid ventilation or close it off depending on weather.
Face area to be able to suspended from ridge line to keep it away from your face (think bug net on DD hammocks)
Full length zips to allow attachment to underquilt.
down filled to mimic heat retention of underquilt (maybe 200g??)

Basically Imagine letting one end of the bug netting down from a DD hammock and leaving one end near your face suspended, thats what i want the top piece to
look like but with a mesh square covering the face to stop bugs but allow ventilation/breath to escape while also being able to be covered in severe weather
also tapers like a sleeping bag from feet to head to shave off extra weight.
Maybe a small piece hanging down from the bottom of the mesh as a vapour guard in minus temps (stop the condenstaion from your breath)

Bug Net

Made from black or green midge proof netting in a DD hammocks style
Full lenght zips to attach to underquilt
Able to be suspended away from head and body.
Extra fabric on ends to be able to wrap around and cinch off to stop bugs entering (like New DD Jungle modular hammock)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds more like it mate, not sure on the numbers as I've never attempted one but the concept is much better.

One thought and it might be nothing, with a decent underquilt you get a good amount of side coverage once you're in the hammock, you'll easily get that with your 150cm width for sure. When you attach your top piece does that then leave it suspended up and away from your body creating a large gap to warm up? I had a Speer Peapod for a little while and that was really snug across the top of the body, too snug actually so I sent it back. I'm not sure which is best with a cocoon, a closer fit or a bigger cavity?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I only want it suspended away from my face so the rest lays across the sides of the hammock pretty level.
Im doing the same thing now but with a cheap square sleeping bag and its very warm.

Was toying with the idea of not having it come further up than my shoulders which removes the need for suspension.......
Or maybe have it like a babys pram, flat level over my body and then an arch over the face area so its still close all round me and i get head protection???

Still toying with the ideas at the moment.

I think a small space is a good compromise as i dont want it tight and restrictive (like having my legs bent up) but dont want a massive gap like the weather shields.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Also i will have a top quilt in there too.

Want to be able to do Jokkmokk 2014/15
so needs to be good for about -30.....

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Im now in contact with Mat at UK Hammocks and the planning has begun......
All i need now is to sell some of my bits to fund it

So get buying people.........someone must want my lovely S16s.....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sounds more like it mate, not sure on the numbers as I've never attempted one but the concept is much better.

One thought and it might be nothing, with a decent underquilt you get a good amount of side coverage once you're in the hammock, you'll easily get that with your 150cm width for sure. When you attach your top piece does that then leave it suspended up and away from your body creating a large gap to warm up? I had a Speer Peapod for a little while and that was really snug across the top of the body, too snug actually so I sent it back. I'm not sure which is best with a cocoon, a closer fit or a bigger cavity?

Not closer fit, but unsuspended with plenty of sag. I have the snugpak one and don't suspend it (actually my hammock is so big I can't.) but this does mean that tit sags back onto me like a snug duvet. I then zip it up and just have my head peeping out with a balaclava on. Snug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE