DIY Hammock Down underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
After trying to decided whether or not I should buy a Nunatak BCB I finally went with no and bought a sewing machine instead.

After a couple weekends of work (due to waiting for down delivery) I now have an underquilt for my TTTM hammock based upon the size and dimensions of Te-wa's design.

I decided to go with a sewn through construction for my 1st sewing attempt just to keep things simple.

pbpic4267755.jpg

Inside shot

pbpic4267748.jpg

pbpic4267770.jpg

The outer is Ripstop pertex in a charcoal grey and the inner a teal pertex microlight. Both around £3 per metre. The fill is 180g of 800 (EU fill) polish down.

I have some red and black pertex quantum along with some no-seeum netting ready for the main event - the unsponsored back country blanket.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Lovely job, but doesn't down flatten underneath you and offer not much insulation? It does in a sleeping bag, which is why rollmat essential with down bag.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Lovely job, but doesn't down flatten underneath you and offer not much insulation? It does in a sleeping bag, which is why rollmat essential with down bag.

An under blanket goes on the outside of the hammock to prevent the insulation compressing so you don't need to use a roll mat, it also packs up a lot smaller that a roll mat would. Take a look at this picture from google:
underblanket.jpg

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
An under blanket goes on the outside of the hammock to prevent the insulation compressing so you don't need to use a roll mat, it also packs up a lot smaller that a roll mat would.

Ah, I see - cheers for that, hadn't heard the term before and thought it went between hammock and person, apols.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work. Looks warm and functional.

Was the down difficult to keep in place when you sewed the sections up. Was thinking of making one myself to use as a quilt on the deck under a wool blanket in the winter.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Down was filled once three sides where sewn up and the baffles in place.

I have some more of the charcoal pertex ready to make another. Just need the baffles sewn in and its done.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I've had a go at this kind of thing and have complete respect for you. It looks fantastic, and I'm sure you saved a small fortune.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I've made my own with a couple of layers of Thinsulate between two layers of pertex - toasty warm but quite bulky. May I ask where you purchased the down?

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England

That's the place. 1st delivery non tracked took over 3 weeks!! It's good stuff though. The 2nd lot I had tracked. 20 yo-yo's in postage costs but arrived in less than a week.

Just finished getting underquilt number 2 ready to fill. Same size as the one above but with 5 baffles rather than 6. Completely made out of the grey 1.1 pertex ripstop.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
The underquilt will have shockcord attached and that in turn will be clipped onto the ends of the hammock. The elastic will allow the quilt to move with the hammock, keeping it nice and snug without damaging it.

Last night I started another one using the charcoal pertex I have. Just need some down to finish it off.

pbpic4291251.jpg

I plan to buy a hemming foot for the sewing machine this weekend to help produce a nice tight hem both sides. I probably have enough material for a few more ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE