DIY frame backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
Hi all.

Just wanted to show off my new backpack... Made with an old Fjällräven frame backpack as a base. Materials used where a PU-coated nylon fabric, sail cloth as a liner to protect the coating, lots of 40 and 25 mm polyester straps, hundreds of meters of thread, 30-40 meters of seam tape and some odds and ends.

My goal with the project was to make a comfortable backpack that could take a lot of weight (even though I rarely go over 20 kg) and be waterproof. I also wanted it to be adjustable and flexible when it comes to size, volume and attachments.

I'm very happy with the end result, although I have yet to try it out on an outing. There are a couple of things left to do though. Two side bags are unfinished due to the seam tape running out and I'm also going to add 2-3 zipped pockets inside the main bag.

The main bag is about 45 litres, but due to the roll closing it can fit about 60 if rolled closed only one or two turns (although waterproofness will probably suffer). There is also a water-resistant zipper towards the bottom (covered with a flap for extra protection) The two side bags shown in the pictures below come off if needed and fit about 3.5 litres each. The two unfinished side bags will fit about 6 litres each. All straps have lots of attachment points and there's plenty of space underneath the main bag for a tent or similar (in the photos an Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy is attached). I also have several ideas for extra bags to attach (or detach depending on current needs) to both frame and belt for odds and ends.

The frame:
Ryggs%C3%A4ck-01.jpg

The finished bag:
Ryggs%C3%A4ck-21.jpg

Bottom zipper:
Ryggs%C3%A4ck-26.jpg

Inside:
Ryggs%C3%A4ck-27.jpg

In use:
Ryggs%C3%A4ck-32.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Wow! That looks really well made - very professional indeed! And a handy size too, by the look of it................I bet that took a good few hours of work.............Thanks for showing :)

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
Thank you for the kind words. I'm actually quite proud, it turned out better than I had thought...

Wow! That looks really well made - very professional indeed! And a handy size too, by the look of it................I bet that took a good few hours of work.............Thanks for showing :)

More hours than I'd like to think about. :)

That's a very well made pack.
Do you happen to have any pictures from when you made it?

I do have a few pictures from while I was making it and plan on writing a more detailed report later.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That is incredibly impressive.

I recently got a backframe and set about making a cargo panel for it, unfortunatley my sewing and working with material skills are very poor - at least it leaves room for lots of improvement:).

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I don't know about these things but does that top part of the frame look high and close to your head??

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
I don't know about these things but does that top part of the frame look high and close to your head??

The frame is quite tall, yes, but I could not carry it any lower though. If you look towards the bottom you'll see that the frame reaches well below my hips.

I've done some testing with different weird positions and so far i haven't felt that the frame being so high and close to my head is a problem. Only time I find it to be on the way is while wearing my hat and looking up, but then I'm just gonna have to take my hat off when looking at the clouds...

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Looks a great pack and I've never tried that style of pack hence why I asked. You need to get that patented and into production 👍

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You've done a lovely job on that. Beautifully put together from what I see. Was a sad day when my old frame pack gave up the ghost as they can carry odd sized/shaped loads with ease. Whether it's a waterproof barrel, a load of timber or even rocks nothing else gives quite the same protection or comfort as an external frame.

I'm thoroughly impressed by your work.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great job!

That looks really tidy and I like the colours. It should last a while with that lining too.

Well done that man. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE