DIY firebox plans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When swmbo mentioned she was off to the metal supermarket on Friday to get some steel for the kids at college, I simply couldn't resist putting a small order in for a sheet of stainless to play around with. I gave her £15 and asked her to get me the biggest sheet possible for my money in either 0.9mm or 1.2mm. What she's come back with is a nice shiney piece of 600x600mm 0.9mm :)

So at the moment I fancy having a crack at a folding or take apart firebox for when I'm canoeing. Construction wise I'l probably go for a similar method to the honey stove with slots and tongues holding it together. I'll probably add some 5mm rods for a grill section somewhere as well.

Has anyone got any plans or links to something similar ?

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Have a look at these plans Rich.

I saw one at the Midlands meet that Muddy Boots made and it looked a nice bit of kit though he had blown the plans up.

Hello.

Yup this is exactly where I got the plans for my one from. If I get a chance I will take a photo or two.

The plans on the net are fairly small so I enlarged them on a photocopier.

I made mine from mild sheet steel and it seems to work pretty well. Its a bit fiddly to get some of the slots and corners right but the easiest way I found to do it was to stick the template onto card and then score round it.

I used a cutting disc to cut the slots and I made them slightly wider than on the templates as it made pushing the fire box together easier.

As a said I will try and get some photos as there is a few other peole interested as well.

If I can be of any help just let me know.

Muddy.

Last edited:
just Pritt stick the paper template direct to the metal and cut round also helps stop your center punch slipping :D

I have the advantage that i can print an exact drawing useing AUTO Cad
used to do it all the time at work for prototypeing metalwork :22: saved hours marking out etc ( A1 plotter)

ATB

Duncan

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok couple of photos

bushcraft012.jpg

bushcraft017.jpg

bushcraft019.jpg

The steel pipe is courtesy of great advise from Wayland and is the blow poker

The knife I have set there for some perspective.

Last edited:

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
i've made a couple from the templates on zenstoves printed out and stuck on the tin plate from a car repair shop as FYGT said. they're cracking little stoves and in a leather envelope type bag take up no room in the pack. I'm jealous about the stainless though but the thin steel works ok and you can customise the basic design easily enough. Snips a dremel and a drill and file is all thats needed.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yup, I made a Nimblewill stove as well.
I made mine out of stainless steel. It was a right pain cutting all that sheet metal - one of those jobs that you think 'wish I hadn't started this'. But once it's all done and in use you're dead chuffed you did!
I made mine about an inch or two bigger in all dimensions.
Here's mine in use:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9179907@N06/4147468765/

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Yup, I made a Nimblewill stove as well.
I made mine out of stainless steel. It was a right pain cutting all that sheet metal - one of those jobs that you think 'wish I hadn't started this'. But once it's all done and in use you're dead chuffed you did!
I made mine about an inch or two bigger in all dimensions.
Here's mine in use:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9179907@N06/4147468765/

some crackin photo's there mate ...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
stove1.jpg

I'd made one some time back from old shelving, bit heavy, but it works, its the smaller size. If I made another I'd increase it as durulz did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE