DIY Canoe Seats Replacement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
My Old Town Discovery 146k canoe's cane seats had become brittle and were in need of replacement. I have gotten good service from them since purchasing the canoe in the mid 90s. Though cane seats were original equipment with this model, I did not want to put cane seats back into this craft. I wanted to go with web style seating. After pricing the web seats at my local canoe dealer, I decided that I could make my own web seats much cheaper. The web seat new was right at $50 each. I repurposed some child car seat webbing to use for my seats. This webbing I obtained from my sister-in-law for no cost to me. I used the same wooden seat frames that I had in the cane seats. The wooden seat frame is just flipped over so that the cane reed channel is on the underside. I attached the webbing to the frame using heavy staples, similar to the dealer's replacement seating. I had plenty of staples to hand so I did not have to purchase any for just this project.

As for the photos of the project, I apologize as it did not dawn on me to photograph this process until I was well into the second seat. :eek: Anyway, here are the photos that I did take:

Part of the brittle cane I removed from one seat frame.

The web fitting in progress.

A finished seat.

One web seat installed into the canoe.

Both seats installed into the canoe. I think they look pretty good.

All in all, a fun little project that saved me a $100 bucks. Thanks for looking.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
goodjob Child car seat webbing, I'll remember that one.

Im looking for a seat for the dog at the moment, and I reckon I'll try one of those bath mats with the suckers on the underside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE