DIY Candle Lantern.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hi shaggystu.

If you are going to knock up one of the reflectors, an easy way to make the holes, is to use an office hole punch. These make uniform neat holes, with no burred edges. I use those small brass rivet/eyelet things as the hinge point. From memory I got them from a sewing shop.

thanks for that mate. i'm pretty sure i've got some brass rivet/eyelet thingies (technical term) somewhere knocking about. i've heard about using a hole punch before but never tried it, i'll have look see, i'm bound to have one somewhere.

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
The technical term is "Whitecroft Paper Fasteners, Brassed Steel".

I'd post a link but modesty forbids. :)

i prefer brass rivet/eyelet thingies, more of a ring to it.
go on, put up a link, you might sell a few!

stuart

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hmmmm, that's how we are playing is it lol?

The technical term is "Whitecroft Paper Fasteners, Brassed Steel".

Surely you mean 'proper, or correct name', as "Whitecroft Paper Fasteners, Brassed Steel". is not a technical term, but is in fact a name!
If we had been discussing the method by which dry bread is heated to become toast, then you could have mentioned the technical term for that is the maillard reaction, as that is a technical term, and not the name of the toast or toaster lol.

Either way, two things are apparent here:

1. I should get out more lol
2. I didn't know the correct name for the fasteners...thanks for that. I will try to remember it in future :)

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Just to add to the fun, the paper brads are definitely not what I was referring to, so I looked up the whitecroft site, and its not the whitecroft paper fasteners brassed steel ones either lol

They are simply known as eyelets yellow brass, or eyelets nickel plated on the site (but in various sizes).

So, I guess my initial 'rivet/eyelet things' was not too far out lol :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fabric shops sell them in packs for £1. Woolworths used to be cheaper though.
Incidentally, the better ones are two part and they're used for lacing up clothing, bodices and the like. These ones don't leave any sharp edges to catch on clothes or skin :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE