DIY Candle Lantern.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

I found these Trekkers Lanterns on a website called The Track of The Wolf and thought I'd have ago at making something similar.

LANTERN-T-B_1.jpg

I used an old shaving foam canister for the main body and the handle retainer and a bit of fence wire for the handles.

DSC03342Small.jpg

Like the original the handles ,when open, help add extra stability to the lantern, kind of like legs .

DSC03341Small.jpg
DSC03340Small.jpg

Tea light candles fit quite well although I'm not sure how well this kind of lantern works outside yet.
I did think that with a sheet of something like Mica wood burner window material you could maybe make a Uco type lantern .

Cheers,
Pete.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very neat indeed :D

Have you seen the ones folks make at camp from the sliced open beer can ? Maybe that kind of idea with your handle would make something a little more sheltered ?

atb,
Toddy

pwb

Very neat indeed :D

Have you seen the ones folks make at camp from the sliced open beer can ? Maybe that kind of idea with your handle would make something a little more sheltered ?

atb,
Toddy

Not seen that type Toddy but guess it would have the front opened like a door or doors.
Got an empty can here ,I think some experimenting is called for :) .

Pete.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i like that a lot, really neat bit of metal working there puub.
i often use sliced open drinks cans when camping, i guess the same kind of thing that toddy has in mind. i simply cut an "I" shaped slot in the front of the can and then fold out to form two flaps, a peg of some kind stuck into the floor to hold the empty can steady and bob's your uncle. if you use the can so that the base is to the top you can even use it as a stove to make tiny little drop scones....lovely

cheers

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........if you use the can so that the base is to the top you can even use it as a stove to make tiny little drop scones....lovely.

Or, if the midgies or mozzies are bad a few drops of essential oil....citronella (yuck) or lemongrass, or myrica gale :D and it'll act like an oil burner and discourage them :cool:

cheers,
M

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Or, if the midgies or mozzies are bad a few drops of essential oil....citronella (yuck) or lemongrass, or myrica gale :D and it'll act like an oil burner and discourage them :cool:

cheers,
M

that's exactly where i got the idea from in the first place, a friend of mine burns a lot of essential oils in his house (smells like a french tarts boudoir) generaly in one of these type of burners. i thought they'd probably work pretty well for outdoor candle lanterns, i was right!

cheers

stuart

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
In response to shaggystus's pic, this is how I use coke cans to make oil burners (for insect repellent or scent use).

The concept is similar, but I add to more layers:
The extra inverted can below the tea light stops the lamp from burning surfaces below.
The extra can base just below the top of the lamp (inserted through the open window) holds more water than a bare can base, so lasts much longer, and is thus cheaper on oil.

As per the labeling, you can cut holes to let heat escape (for a candle lamp) or for hanging loops

Here is one I made earlier lol:
cokecanlanternideaIMG_0404.jpg

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Puub.

I forgot to add.
I think your lamp looks very smart, and the handles look almost commercial, and not bit of wire you had!

I have tried making a few candle lamps, and the best (and most robust) glazing I have found, is the fine gauze that comes on the cheap 'toaster' things for camping stoves. This is really the same stuff as used above Bunsen burners in school. It stops the flame being blown out, will not break, but does reduce the light output of the lamp. The only way to increase the light output was to polish the inner reflective surface to try to balance things out again :)

pwb

Puub.

I forgot to add.
I think your lamp looks very smart, and the handles look almost commercial, and not bit of wire you had!

I have tried making a few candle lamps, and the best (and most robust) glazing I have found, is the fine gauze that comes on the cheap 'toaster' things for camping stoves. This is really the same stuff as used above Bunsen burners in school. It stops the flame being blown out, will not break, but does reduce the light output of the lamp. The only way to increase the light output was to polish the inner reflective surface to try to balance things out again :)

Thanks Ray :),

I'll look into the mesh idea never thought of that.
That's a great looking lantern design of yours.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi again puub.

The pic lower in the thread is an oil burner rather than a lamp to be honest. Although it can be used as a lamp, the build is a bit more involved, and more trouble than I bother to go to if I need an extra lamp while away lol

This pic below is of a lamp made while out camping.

cokelamp.jpg

This one uses two cans, as opposed to the burners three, so is easier to source cans for (camp site bins or left on the floor as rubbish etc).
It has an inverted can base to act as a candle support and to stop the base getting hot, but uses the original ring pull as a hanging point (and the open drinking hole as an aid to venting heat)

If you have the time to spare, then coke/fizzy cans are useful for making all sorts of things, plus are good for passing time.

You could make some lotus flowers:
cokecansmalllotusflowerIMG_0401.jpg

Or. more practical things like stove heat reflectors, to save fuel and protect from scorching soil.
cokecanstovereflectorIMG_0399.jpg

And the same thing folded, to fit in your billy.
cokecanstovereflectorfoldedIMG_0400.jpg

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that heat reflector is great, i'll have a bash at one of those later on. using the ring pull as a hanging point is something that i do too, don't know why i forgot to mention it in my first post.

cheers

stuart

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi shaggystu.

If you are going to knock up one of the reflectors, an easy way to make the holes, is to use an office hole punch. These make uniform neat holes, with no burred edges. I use those small brass rivet/eyelet things as the hinge point. From memory I got them from a sewing shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE