DIY Boot Dryer using computer parts

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
There have been a number of "bushcraft uses for old computers" threads recently (wood burning stoves from cases, and catapult ammo holders from hard drive magnets) so I thought I would share some pictures of my DIY Boot Dryer, a solution to the curse of cold clammy boots.

PC180383.jpg

PC180384.jpg

It is a computer CPU fan attached to a block of wood, which has holes bored through to split the airflow into two pipes (pvc conduit), and all powered by a 12v supply from some defunct computer speakers. The theory is that dry air blown to the bottom of the boot will carry the moisture out as it exits the boot. I find that a couple of hours blowing is sufficient to remove clamminess (especially from my wellies). I know commercial boot dryers use low wattage heaters, but I don't really think that is necessary here.

Having recently dismantled another computer, with bigger fans, I plan to make another unit, perhaps with more hoses to dry more boots or gloves.

Thanks for looking.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Brilliant ;)
Seems a shame when I bin an old machine after years of service. Good show.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Fantastic! If you set them up beside the wood stove or radiator they would get a bit of warm air. A battery operated set up might be the ticket for some situations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE