DIY Blacksmithing video series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers gents, there's a few more in the series other than those linked.

I'm glad they're going down well.
All the best
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You're welcome guys. I meant to film another video this week but didn't get round to it sadly. I'll be away for a couple of weeks now too.
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zphqiqRzXE

Hi Guys n gals. I've sorted myself a new workshop which is good.

2017 is set to be a big year for me, I want to improve my youtube channel and start growing this as a business. But I need your feed back.

What do you like about my videos? What do you dislike?
Are they too long, too short? Should I stick with the intro/outro scenes?

All thoughts greatly appreciated. I'm a big boy you don't need to be gentle.

All the best
Andy

Last edited:
These are great Andy! I have a wee homebuilt forge sitting waiting to be used in my shed (the main part of it involves a potato) though i need to find myself an anvil.
These vids are easy to watch, engaging and good to follow. I might actually try out one of your tutorials on one of my pals forges and see how I get on. Want me to send you a photo of the result?
I am now subscribed :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I've got to say I like your easy going style and no frills manner.
I wouldn't suggest any changes to what your doing but definitely keep intro/outro as the will become part of your channel for repeat visitors.
My one bit of advice would be to make sure you post consistently. Doesn't matter if it's twice a week, once a month or whatever you think is manageable for you but people tend to stay subscribed if they know what/when they are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not filming vertically would be a start ;)

I meant more for the other videos than the quick phone update. ;) Duly noted though.

These are great Andy! I have a wee homebuilt forge sitting waiting to be used in my shed (the main part of it involves a potato) though i need to find myself an anvil.
These vids are easy to watch, engaging and good to follow. I might actually try out one of your tutorials on one of my pals forges and see how I get on. Want me to send you a photo of the result?
I am now subscribed :)

I'd love to see a photo of the results. That would be great. :)

Cheers Hamster. I did have a fairly regular schedule but it's completely gone out the window these last few months as I've moved house and work has been mental too. Hoping to get back into the swing of it a bit more now. Will likely batch film several videos to upload regularly.

Much appreciated
Andy

rancid badger

Nowt wrong with those Andy, great skills, clear and concise information well put across and yes indeed, therapeutic into the bargain!;)

Love it!

I hadn't realised you had a channel before now but I've subbed and will take time to watch through a lot more of your films.

Well done

Steve

Dec 27, 2016
Los Angeles, CA

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Nowt wrong with those Andy, great skills, clear and concise information well put across and yes indeed, therapeutic into the bargain!;)

Love it!

I hadn't realised you had a channel before now but I've subbed and will take time to watch through a lot more of your films.

Well done

Steve

HI Steve, thank you. It's nice to know they are being well received.

Very nice, like most people who are really talented you make it look easy. Do any of you other videos show the very basics of setting up a forge and tools?

Thanks. I don't know about very talented, I've just had more practice than most folks.

I did a video about building a very simple forge with a section of pipe and some bricks. This one:
Blacksmithing Basics Episode 6 - A Simple Forge

As for tools I recommend starting at the first video - making a fire rake. I believe this should be the first thing any new smith makes as it is a fundamental tool for fire management. Far better and more useful than a poker most of the time. There's also a lot of fundamental processes involved in making one too.

Much appreciated guys.
All the best
Andy

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Very nice vids.
I am amazed that you dont use bruit force in your hammering. I always thought you had to beat the stuffing oit of metal, but the light taps and direction of them is cool.
Thanks.
Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE