dissertation ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm in my first year studying outdoor education at Liverpool John Moores University and starting to think about what to write my dissertation on. Everyone seems to suggest that you should write it on something that your passionate about, as i'm very passionate about bushcraft as I've always had a passion for it. Has anyone got any ideas on what i could base my research on within bushcraft?

Good for you for starting early. Let's hope you can stay ahead of the pack. :)

Sorry not to answer your question directly, but here's how it works:

The subject of the dissertation is of relatively little importance. The people who are educating you want to see what you can do, They want to see how you go about things and how much you can be stretched. They're not especially interested ideas we might kick about here on this forum, they're interested in you.

My advice is to pick a subject soon, rather than spend a lot of time worrying about what subject to pick, and then throw yourself at it.

Your results might improve if you spend some time working on your use of English. Use correct grammar and punctuate properly. Pay particular attention to use of the apostrophe. Construct sentences which express your ideas clearly, which help the reader to follow them, and which -- except where it's done for effect -- flow smoothly.

EdS

how about a comparison of the legislative system in Englans & Wales vs Scotland nad the impact of bushcraft & wild camping activites.

That way you've covered:
legal system
practice / techniques
social impact

Back in the Liverpool Poly days the tutours on that course use to liek the students to be able to prove they had an indepth knowledge and understanding of the background and function of the "sport" rather than jsut been able to preform it well.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Probably not relevant to your particular course but I would enjoy planning and executing a dissertation dealing with the transition of the knife from essential everyday tool to dangerous illegal weapon and the perception of it's status with reference to the legislature , the police , media , and general public including inner city dwellers and rural rustics as well as what could be described as special interest groups like Scouts , bushcrafters , green woodworkers , soldiers etc.
I'd love to have a go at that one myself but too old now I think.
Enjoy your time at Uni : it may be the last time you study just for the joy of it!
Cheers , Simon

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I have a PhD, and have taught at your level. Others have made most of the important points already, so I can only add my backing.

I don't know what the dissertation timetable is on your course, but just to counter one or two other posts: don't stress too early. Your specific interests will develop with time, as will your understanding of your aptitudes and what's required from your dissertation. You don't need to start early, only on time. But if now is the time...

Research is a set of tools and techniques, independent of the subject matter. Of course choose a topic you're interested in, but the success of the dissertation depends on how well you formulate the question, gather the source material, assess it, and answer the question. This is more important that the actual subject, so pick something that will enable you to demonstrate your research skills. Detailed marking criteria should be available to you.

But, if you want the dissertation subject to help you get your first job (which it often will) choose something relevent. Do you want to teach kids? Do statemented 10 yr olds have a longer attention span outdoors? Want to manage National Park events? Do hands-on woodcraft activities attract more visitors? Want to lobby for outdoor access? Bushcraft: pre-conceptions among landowners in northwest England. Those are rubbish titles, but you get the concept: you can probably fit your personal interest in bushcraft into a context that would be relevent to an employer.

Also choose something trendy if you can. Find out what's buzzing in education research at the moment. Do this by reading journals, and the TES, which will also help to inspire you in general. As a graduate, it's important for you to be able to demonstrate a grasp of the issues-of-the-moment within your industry.

Keep your question small and specific. This cannot be overemphasised. A full discussion of a small idea is far better than a limited discussion of a big idea. You need something where good data/source-material can be had, but not so much of it that you can't complete a full assessment of it all in the time and space available to you. Any researcher will tell you that the hard part is leaving stuff out, not finding new material to include. No matter how big your word-limit might seem to you now, you won't have a problem filling it.

Furthermore, a simple question will (hopefully) result in a relatively simple answer - or at least a simple story to tell. Simple does NOT mean dull or irrelevent! All professional researchers long for the simple. And if your story is simple, not only will it be easier to write, but it will be easier to read too, both of which will improve your mark.

Ask you Tutor's advice and take it. He should be getting to know you by now, and he's seen it all before. It is very easy to get carried away with enthusiasm and bite off more than it's necessary to chew. Allow your Tutor to temper your passion. Mine told me straight: "Hobbes my dear boy" he said, "first get qualified, then you can save the planet!"

I had a great time writing my undergrad dissertation - you'll enjoy it when it's going well. A passion for the subject helps with staying in the library 'til gone midnight. A simple question, easily manageable source-material, and the resulting sniff of a distinction, help with editing at four in the morning and printing with five minutes to go :) Good luck!

Last edited:

forestwalker

That's the best advice I have read for anyone considering embarking on any academic work I have read anywhere.

I would particularly suggest paying attention to this
"*that clearly and objectively has potential to end in a answer"
Just studying something is too open ended. You need to pose a question that you can reasonably collect data on and answer in the time allocated.
I wonder about a comparison of traditional outdoor ed provision vs bushcraft education provision? Easy enough to devise some objective questions to take to a number of providers. It might be interesting for instance to know if perceived supply and demand for courses is growing or shrinking in each area. Whether there are differing attitudes to qualifications, demographics of course participants etc.

Yes. Agreed. 110%. "Further studies of..." is not a good thesis subject (DAMHIK). In your shoes I would be tempted to compare e.g. the attitude to outdoor pursuits in different parts of the world (e.g. Scandinavia vs. UK, vs the Continent vs the USA vs Oz, or a subset). The education angle is great, and might even give you an edge in actually finding work in the field later.. Comparing courses and participants in different regions is another subject that could work as thesis subject.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
How about something like this for a specific question: "Has the rise in the culture of risk aversiveness harmed the practice of traditional outdoor pursuits?"

It would be a question with some "meat" to it, because at the same time as Britain has become more "nannying" the likes of Ray Mears has been helping to popularise bushcraft. You could have some fun trying to untangle the relative impact of culture vs. media.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE