dirty handles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
If the handle had been treated well in the first place this would not happen. This I know from experience!

for those of us who are not so perfect...

i use an old well used nail scrubbing brush and dry brush it off. i like to use a wax/oil mix afterward to re-seal the wood. simples

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Wipe the worst of it off with a damp cloth and let the rest of it get ground into the handle for colour and character.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I remember reading some celebs recollections of childhood once who said "we knew we weren't real country people because we washed our wellies when we got home."

Have working tools for working and polishing tools for polishing.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If it don't wipe off live with it.

Prevention is better than any cure so I take the advice a very senior armourer once gave me and soak all woodwork in a bath of linseed oil for 24 hours, preferably some where warm. I have a big old SRD rum jar that's full of all the dregs of various linseed, tung and teak oil I find that I keep just for soaking. Short of varnishing, which in my mind is a no no, it's the best way of preserving tool handles, especially if they are in storage or somewhere where they may dry out and crack. Once or twice a year I wipe them down with a rag with tung oil on.

For chisel and file handles old Horlicks mixing jars are perfect, you see them on car boots, tall, thin, bottom heavy glass pots.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
if the dirt is really stubborn and you really want to get it looking new again you can use some fine wet or dry to bring it all back to bare wood then oil it (ands wax it if you like) to get it all shiny again.
not something i'd particularly care to do but im not very fussy about how my tools look, if you are fussy and nothing else seems to be working thats always an option.

Madpuppy

Dec 7, 2009
Blair, Nebraska U.S.A.
Something small like a knife goes in the dishwasher at my house, bigger stuff I take to the carwash or break out the power washer. As far as robevs73 saying not to get it dirty by treating it with kids gloves, I use my tools and equipment and they get dirty. It's not fine china, it's tools and they get dirty:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE