Dirty Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
If people are feeling really bad about this I could organise a clean up on the beach & saltmarsh at this summers Bushmoot at Merthyr Mawr. Doesn't have to be all day, a few people for about an hour could make a big impression. Tony what do you think?Any volunteers?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I was canoeing once and I came accross a chap collecting litter. He had a collection box and a sign saying
"this clean-up is in aid of guide dogs for the blind"
nice idea.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Everywhere I seem to go lately, there is litter everywhere.

Went up to Box Hill with the gf the other week, paper cups, ice cream / lolly wrappers etc, all lying around on the grass and snagged in the trees.

Lots of needless stuff as well, small plastic tops from water bottled, that kind of stuff - the kinda thing you could stick in your pocket til you get to a bin

They had one guy cleaning up but he wasn't making much of an impact.

Sometimes I think it would be better to STOP people picking up after others, just let the litter pile up and then say "see what you've done now?"

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
anthonyyy said:
I was canoeing once and I came accross a chap collecting litter. He had a collection box and a sign saying
"this clean-up is in aid of guide dogs for the blind"
nice idea.
That is a superb idea.....

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
No volunteers for a clean up at Merthyr Mawr then? :( Would be good PR for bushcrafters & a great way of helping to look after the countryside that we all enjoy. Maybe people haven't noticed this thread? Anyway the offer is still there if anybody coming to the moot is interested.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
I often carry a plastic bag and clear rubbish up along my dog walk.

The one that gets me is people who clear up after their dogs and then leave the crap filled bag in the bushes. What's the hecking point in that? Now not only are they guilty of not clearing up after their dog (£250 fine) but also littering (the plastic bag). I've even seen crap bags thrown up into trees :eek:

Bah!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I genuinely cannot believe that people have such disrespect for the areas they live in. I sometimes walk my oldest son to school and there is a huge amount of rubbish just thrown down by people who obviously live in and around the area. Surely logic should prevail that this kind of behaviour will ultimately bring an area down and make it an unpleasant place to live for everyone - litter louts included :( . One thing that really gets my goat are those repulsive individuals who clean up after their dogs like responsible owners should but then when out of sight leave their full plastic bags hanging in the hedge where they have been thrown :twak:

Edit: The hazards of taking too long to compose a post :D So you too then Mantic :lmao:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I spent a weekend cleaning up a nature reserve I help manage the amount of dog crap in the bushes was terrible. 10 hectare site. We collected over 20 sacks of rubbish. This is less than 3 months since the last clean up.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Must be something to do with removing the responsibility for it away from those people who make it. After all, a good moan or complaint makes people think that they are important - complain about the litter, then when the litter is so bad, you can complain about the rats and the smell!
The idea about the clean up at Merthyr is a great one, I'd be up for a few hours bimbling about with a black bag - perhaps if we make a significant improvement, plant a sign saying - "This beach cleaned by BCUK", though if it got littered again in a few weeks and the sign was still there, maybe it would give the wrong impression.
Its the sheeple mantality and follows the story of the four people with an important job to do. They were called Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. Everybody knew what to do and Anybody could have done it. They all thought that Somebody had done it, but in the end, Nobody did it!

Ogri the trog

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Yesterday we were on the beach at Gullane, East Lothian, on the way back each of the boys, me and Jane got a carrier bag and picked up what we could in the way of bottles etc. Took hardly any time as we were heading back to the car...

(Mind you, on the radio as we headed back we heard about the sewage spill from Edinburgh :eek: Big showers all round when we got home... )

But the point is, the kids were happy to do it, and we both want to make a point of collecting debris, if safe to do so, and get them (and us) into the habit..as well as being seen by other passers by, and if even one of them decides to a) not litter or b) collect as well, thats better than nothing..

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Aye, you picked the wrong weekend for a beach walk 'round here John... ;)

While litter obviously is a big problem, I do wonder how much the condition of many of our beaches is down to our location and the sea currents - we do get stuff washing up from the other side of the Atlantic after all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE