Diesel in an MSR?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I have an MSR Whisperlite Int, that I’ve only ever run it on Unleaded/Colman Fuel. Has any one any experience of using one of these with Diesel?

leon-1

Andy, from what I recall they don't work with deisel, they have two fuels one was Kerosene and the other being white petrol / coleman fuel.

Also if you did get it to work you would probably find that it would take you a long time to clean it afterwards as I think the injector would have a big problem handling deisel.

To be honest I would not try it as I wouldn't want to trash it, they are pretty good stoves in most conditions and although they have only a few fuels listed they are pretty much solid on them :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks, I was under the impression that it would, but I’ve had a look at the book and it’s just Kerosene (paraffin) and petrol/white gas.

Andy

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
AJB

It will work for a very short time with diesel but needs to be run at full heat and high pressure. If you try to turn it to a simmer it will block up. It stinks, it's sooty and leaves a black deposit over everything and it's not particularly hot. Basically not worth the bother except in an absolute emergency. If you must then use the Kero jet and be prepared to clean it every five minutes.

Works OK in an MSR XGK though.

George

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks for the info George, I was sure someone had told me it would, even if it doesn’t say so in the book. Though, from your experience, it's not worth it.

Cheers

Meaghaidh

Aug 10, 2005
Peak District
These work like stink on rough vodka in Russia and its cheaper than petrol. I also used a multifuel primus on vodka that worked better then than ever it did in the uk.
Better still we ditched the stove and used wood for two months.

Paul B

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE