Diesel engine pre-heaters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Slightly random question for a bushcraft forum, but has anyone used / fitted a pre heater to a diesel engine.

I have a Mitsubishi Delica, but two of the glow plugs have snapped off in the block, leaving nothing to weld to (to try and remove them).

I am left with 2 that work, however this can prove interesting once the temperature drops and i'm trying to start it.

It crossed my mind that a pre-heater might assist these two glow plugs in starting.

Cheers
Snozz

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Never done what your asking BUT, there is another method of removing snapped studs / bolts etc.I think they're called EZouts or something like it, basically 'all' you do is drill a pilot hole into the stud and screw in one of these ezouts ( easy out ) They are left hand thread so when you tighten them they unscrew the stud.

Hope that helps

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I had the programmable system in my last Saab, it was controlled by the climate control panel and would switch on every morning at the same time, the car was then warm and ready to go when I needed it. There are quite a few Saabs selling for low prices at the moment,and increasingly large numbers in the scrapyards that would yield the required parts.The pre-heater is only going to be useful for planned starts, anything else and your still going to have problems, I think you'll have to bite the bullet and drill out the old glow plugs.

Sep 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Im a mechanic so will help if i can , some more agricultural vehicles use a heater unit in the intake pipe , wouldnt be to hard to fit or wire in, its basically a large glow plug, you would need to wire it the correct wire i would suggest a timer relay otherwise it will be on all the time.
Failing that and dependent on access , you can buy sockets the have left hand blades in so as you try and undo they cut into the object your removing, i have a set from snap on but im sure you could find cheaper.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a pre heater of sorts fitted to my (ex British Telecom) Transit. Was fitted when I bought it.
Its an Eberspacher water heater thing.

Can programme it to warm the van up (by heating its coolant) on a morning before I get in. That's nice and as the screen is de-iced its OK as well.

Err, can't say its that great other than that to be honest. Its handy for warming the van up during winter when I'm sitting drinking a cuppa at bait time on site.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never done what your asking BUT, there is another method of removing snapped studs / bolts etc.I think they're called EZouts or something like it, basically 'all' you do is drill a pilot hole into the stud and screw in one of these ezouts ( easy out ) They are left hand thread so when you tighten them they unscrew the stud.

Hope that helps

Yes they're called EZouts. But you don't "screw them in." You drive them in with a hammer (their threads are very shallow and cut in as you drive)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yes they're called EZouts. But you don't "screw them in." You drive them in with a hammer (their threads are very shallow and cut in as you drive)

Easy outs are also the generic title for bolt extractors over here, some are like a square wedge shape that you hammer into a hole then turn out with a tap wrench and some have a left hand thread that you screw in then remove the bolt with a tap wrench

I have some made by Dormer.
Like these.
dormer-m101-carbon-steel-screw-extractor-sets-range.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Easy outs are also the generic title for bolt extractors over here, some are like a square wedge shape that you hammer into a hole then turn out with a tap wrench and some have a left hand thread that you screw in then remove the bolt with a tap wrench

I have some made by Dormer.
Like these.
dormer-m101-carbon-steel-screw-extractor-sets-range.jpg

Exactly so. Those are just like the ones I was issued and used. We rarely used a "tap wrench" though. More often an ordinary Crescent wrench (whether it was actually a Crescent brand or a generic)

Be VERY, VERY careful not to break one in whatever you're removing; if you do, you'll need a dental drill and loads of patience.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Exactly so. Those are just like the ones I was issued and used. We rarely used a "tap wrench" though. More often an ordinary Crescent wrench (whether it was actually a Crescent brand or a generic)

Be VERY, VERY careful not to break one in whatever you're removing; if you do, you'll need a dental drill and loads of patience.

I detest the things, got some of them and I avoid using them if its at all possible.
Last resort use only.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Can often be more efficient to cut a slot in the end of the glow plug using something like a dremel then use an impact driver.

Santaman, the easyouts over here are usually very very hard and brittle; you certainly couldn't hammer them in, you have to very carefully drill a hole of the correct diameter to use them then be very careful not to put any side torque on when trying insert them.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Can often be more efficient to cut a slot in the end of the glow plug using something like a dremel then use an impact driver.

Santaman, the easyouts over here are usually very very hard and brittle; you certainly couldn't hammer them in, you have to very carefully drill a hole of the correct diameter to use them then be very careful not to put any side torque on when trying insert them.

I've seen the square ones that you tap in, never used one and don't want to either.

Like these.
square_easy_out_6_pc.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yep. Just like the ones here (the same tool makers supply worldwide) You only drive it (gently) until the threads bite (maybe "tap" is a better word than "drive") then usually continue to tap on it while turning until the screw breaks free. Just the way they teach you in tech school. And just like he does in this British tutorial: http://youtu.be/SMrDYJvY0Ts

The "hard and brittle" bit is why you don't want to EVER break one off in the screw. They're a real b**ch to drill out. If they break (and if you use then regularly enough, you will break one on a truly, truly stuck screw) it's almost always while turning rather than while tapping it in (as stated in the video)

During my time on the flightline, I usually had to use them at least three or four times a week to remove screws when the Crew Chiefs stripped out the heads. Not sure what you call "Crew Chiefs" in the RAF.

Last edited:

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've been speaking to an ex engineer and he suggested blowing hot air into the air intake may help in cold weather

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
Ive always had great success. With easy outs but I also have seen on a friends tractor a heater that fits on to the rad hose and keeps it warm overnight to ease starting one of my vehicles is a a pig to start from cold but will start with the thermo start on but this uses a lot or battery power so it gets easy start normally to speed things up.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I had a merc OM engine on a boat that was difficult to start in cold weather. Rigged the hot water system from the boat so that by opening a few valves I could run hot water into the engine cooling system - 5min of that and the block was nice and warm, started immediately. Fantastic on the really cold mornings when the river was freezing.

rbodell

Oct 31, 2014
United States
Speaking of diesel engines, I have two diesel engines I run on 100% waste motor oil. You have to filter, remove moisture and bring the PH up to neutral. I don't know about diesel engines that run on a computer but any other diesel will run on it.

It runs cleaner, smokes less and with noticeably more horsepower. I get roughly 7 HP out of a 6 HP engine. I have some videos on youtube under rbodell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE