" Did You Know ? "

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
During the two world wars horse chestnuts were gathered and used as a source of starch. This starch was used via the Clostridium acetobutylicum fermentation method (devised by Chaim Weizmann) to produce acetone.
This acetone was then used as a solvent which aided in the process of ballistite extrusion to make cordite.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Got a bit of a miserable/horrific one, but it sort of highlights local ignorance to certain things, there is a cross on one of the paths on Plymouth Hoe which I've noticed for years, every time I walk there (daily doggo walk) because it is slightly risen above the tarmac and basically looks like a trip hazard... but it actually marks the spot where 200+ years ago Plymouth held the last public execution of 3 Marines who had been found guilty of mutiny. Apparently it was attended by tens of thousands...

...not quite a trip to the cinema or a picnic but hey, gotta find entertainment where you can I suppose...

Figured that might encourage people to have a little dig into things they have seen but paid little or no attention to.

Reactions: Macaroon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The best natural soap I've yet used is Bouncing Bet, otherwise known as Soapwort.....and mine's taking over again, if you'd like some, let me know :)
I inadvertently sent BR some bits rescued from the compost but there was a slug with them :eek:.
I'll pick over any fresh cuttings very carefully :)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The best natural soap I've yet used is Bouncing Bet, otherwise known as Soapwort.....and mine's taking over again, if you'd like some, let me know :)
I inadvertently sent BR some bits rescued from the compost but there was a slug with them :eek:.
I'll pick over any fresh cuttings very carefully :)

Yes please Toddy! I'd love some soap wort.
That and comfrey are two that are missing from my herb medicine/usefull plant patch.
I only grow what I can't forage locally, and these are two I can never find.
I found some burdock the other day, so have taken seeds for that, also teasels have been added this year from one lonely wild plant that was by the side of the road.
My garden is already bursting, but there is always a pot or a corner for something else. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You want comfrey ? Mine's the native one, not the showy one, but the roots make lovely salves, and the leaves are excellent manure. Mine has gone over to just the roots again....it's understorey planting here, it's under the raspberry canes :), so I can dig some up no bother.
The soapwort roots fine in a bottle then just pot it up in the garden. You'll need to confine it a bit like mint or it'll happily and cheerfully sprawl around the garden though.
Folks get it wrong with the soapwort and dig up the roots, but it's the green leafy strands that give lovely soapy liquid. It's gentle on the skin, kind to clothing, doesn't stain, etc.,
Just rub up a strand between your hands in water. Do it really, really vigorously, and you'll create a soapy frothy liquor. It's good stuff :)

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You want comfrey ? Mine's the native one, not the showy one, but the roots make lovely salves, and the leaves are excellent manure. Mine has gone over to just the roots again....it's understorey planting here, it's under the raspberry canes :), so I can dig some up no bother.
The soapwort roots fine in a bottle then just pot it up in the garden. You'll need to confine it a bit like mint or it'll happily and cheerfully sprawl around the garden though.
Folks get it wrong with the soapwort and dig up the roots, but it's the green leafy strands that give lovely soapy liquid. It's gentle on the skin, kind to clothing, doesn't stain, etc.,
Just rub up a strand between your hands in water. Do it really, really vigorously, and you'll create a soapy frothy liquor. It's good stuff :)

M

Native comfry is fine and preferable thanks Mary.
Most of my native plants are wild collected seed, so that will fit in fine.
The pots are filled with compost and awaiting their new residents! :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
When our eyes send visual signals to the brain, it has enough capacity to process images in 576 megapixels. However, we only see at about 150dpi, since that is more than enough visual stimuli for us to see objects.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Did you know the top line of letters on a typewriter with a qwerty keyboard spell out typewriter...
No they don't.
Where is the U and Q in 'typewriter?
You can make the word typewriter out of some of the letters on the top row, but you can also make the words write and wrote. Plus many more.
There's no coincidence or irony in that.
Have another go.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No they don't.
Where is the U and Q in 'typewriter?
You can make the word typewriter out of some of the letters on the top row, but you can also make the words write and wrote. Plus many more.
There's no coincidence or irony in that.
Have another go.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE