Did somebody mention spoons?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The three on the right were carved towards the end of last year, the three on the left have been carved since 1-1-08, all bar the two smallest are carved from well seasoned Cherry, the two small ones are out of Birch, all oiled with Veg oil to bring out the grain, as an indicator of size, the large jobby on the left is 12 inches long and the bowl is an inch and a quarter deep.

2008Spoons.jpg

2008spoons2.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one Mark...Still the spoon meister, eh....
Interesting that you use veg oil... Don't you find it can go rancid after some time..?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one Mark...Still the spoon meister, eh....

Oh yes, still got to have that battle with Pete as well:D

Interesting that you use veg oil... Don't you find it can go rancid after some time

Never experienced that tbh, i usually just give them a wipe over and almost immediately wipe it off again, just enought to bring the colour of the grain out:D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Oh yes, still got to have that battle with Pete as well:D

Never experienced that tbh, i usually just give them a wipe over and almost immediately wipe it off again, just enought to bring the colour of the grain out:D

Ahh, but Pete uses tung oil which dries inside the wood after filling any minute holes inside the wood, so strenghens the wood and makes it last longer..... So I am told... Work good for me anyway... Nice spoons as always though mate...Esp like the warped one..

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Nice work. My 2 favourte one's are 2nd from the left and extreme right hand side.
The cherry wood looks to be spalted in places, I got some spalred birch from the fire wood pile, but I find its sort of spongy. I made some spoons from hazel, they've been in the dishwasher and seem OK

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ahh, but Pete uses tung oil which dries inside the wood after filling any minute holes inside the wood, so strenghens the wood and makes it last longer..... So I am told... .

I normally use Tung Oil, but have run out and can't be naffed to go up the road for a bottle;)

Thanks for your comments chaps, only got two more spoons and a ladle planned now to complete the set:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE