Dextrose, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Does anyone out there have any experience with dextrose tablets? I found these at a small bakery in town here the other day and I've been thinking of picking up a small box of them for the fun of it.

Are they worth it for a quick energy boost or not?

Adam

Hi Adam,

There are several similar products here in the UK the main on is made by Lucozade.

I've used them as an energy back up on long distance treks but to be honest I much prefer the carb boost from bananas - seems to work really fast with me. I also normally have a several small packet of raisins and other dried fruits in my bergen side pouches.

IMHO - fruit is better ;)

Phil.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
addyb said:
Does anyone out there have any experience with dextrose tablets? I found these at a small bakery in town here the other day and I've been thinking of picking up a small box of them for the fun of it.

Adam

Adam,

They are widely available overhere and most people who run and do other active things use them. I've used them whilst studying, etc. and they taste very pleasant. Don't really know if they give a quick energy boost ... Haven't experienced a massive amount of energy after eating one of these, just after I finished a 100 page read in one of my study books so I was up and ready for another a 100 :rolleyes:

If it doesn't work for you, you can always put them in your tea ;)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
If you have not tried them before and have a sweet tooth, get some, they are yummy, esp original flavour, they melt in the mouth, oh they do give you a boost too....

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
These are, in effect, sugar tablets. Dextrose is simply glucose, the simplest of the carbohydrates. The spin on that website is pretty aggressive, I have to say. :)

As the others have said, they make for a quick boost and similar products are popular among endurance runners and the like for the easy calories. Like Too Much Kit To Carry, I'm a fan of fruit for my quick sugar fix. Don't spend too much money on glorified sugar cubes. :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Voivode,

Actually, dextrose (glucose) isn't your regular sugar. Sugar cubes are actually sucrose, which is a bit different.

Needless to say, I'll definately buy a small package of these dextrose tablets and see how they go. Who knows, they could be fun at work!

Adam

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
I dunno. I saw a pack of dextrose energy tablets in the bakery that's across the street from the restaurant I serve at. I thought to myself "$2.95..hmm..might be fun." And that's how this thread started. I just wanted to see what others thought of them. So far, the feedback as been good!

Adam

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Well,

I am a diabetic, so have lots of experience of dextrose tabs (4 packs a week)_! They are a cheap, and quick source of energy, the only thing I have found to raise my blood sugar quicker is honey. They are one of the most simplistic forms of sugar and there isn't much that can be absorbed by the body more quickly apart from dextrose in liquid form, ideal for a quick boost. Always load up on pasta or rice etc the night before a long walk or whatever, and you should find that your energy levels should remain fairly steady anyway, you probably already know this, but bulky carbs like brown rice, pasta , bread etc give a steady energy release and are they key to long distance activity!

The lucozade brand tablets are actually nicer tasting than the dextrose tabs, and cheaper

I tell you what I have boxes and boxes of pocket sized glucose gel which give you a mental energy rush, pm your address if you so wish and i'll send you some!

Oh, on the down side they taste pretty lame, i'd stick to the blackberry flavoured ones or the orange ones. If you don't suffer from low blood sugar you really can't beat a bit of kendall mint cake to be fair!

I get most of my glucose stuff on the NHS for free, so if you I ever bump in to any of you guys on a meet, i'll bring down some stuff to hand ou :) t!

Laters,

Buckley

Jackdaw

The Army Ration Packs had these for a time. Not seen them around for a bit though.

They are pretty good for keeping alert when you're feeling tired. Little and often is the way I have used them in the past for any long tabs (marches). One of my lads ate 10 packs in one go for a bet and ended up awake for almost 2 days. Had us laughing for hours!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ideal for a Diabetic, and at work we tend to give milk, milk and glucose, milk and digestive biscuits etc if there is no major rush

KMC, ah, mint cake, wonderful stuff, very nice if you soak it in a little brandy first :D

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
addyb said:
Voivode,

Actually, dextrose (glucose) isn't your regular sugar. Sugar cubes are actually sucrose, which is a bit different.

Needless to say, I'll definately buy a small package of these dextrose tablets and see how they go. Who knows, they could be fun at work!

Adam

My intention wasn't to misrepresent glucose as sucrose and I don't think that I did. With all due respect, I do think the difference is academic to your question. The fact remains that these are, in effect, high-speed sugar cubes with aggressive marketing and a bloated price to match. Runners pay through the nose for liquified sugar packets over here for their carb boost. It all has a place, I'm just not sure that it's worth it. YMMV.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Well, I think they are worth it. I bought a little pack of 'em this afternoon before I worked tonight. I popped one just as I was getting tired and hey, it worked. I wasn't so tired. And for the price, well, over here in Nanaimo, they're cheaper than sugar cubes. :)

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Cheers,

Adam

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
It's been a few since I have had any sugar tabs. I remeber they were part of our emergency ration pack when I was in the cubs/scouts. I used to always eat them as they taste great.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
addyb said:

Adam

Hello Adam,

Let me start by saying that I have no medical training, and little understanding of Diabetes.

About 20 years ago I saw a TV documentary about investigations into the deaths of people who had got into difficulties during extreme weather conditions here in the UK. What seemed to have prompted this investigation was the fact that so many of the unfortunate individuals had been found so close to locations that would have most likely ensured their survival (Very short distances from an occupied building – remote farmhouses etc).

From what I can remember, it was thought that many of the individuals had eaten foodstuffs that contained a high concentration of refined sugar (Dextrose being one of many types of refined sugar).

As I understand it, when high concentrations of refined sugar enter the bloodstream the body compensates by pumping a huge amount of insulin into the bloodstream to reduce the sugar levels to a more nominal level. I have heard many people report that after an initial boost in energy from the refined sugar, there follows a dramatic feeling of fatigue.

The documentary concluded that it was this fatigue that had significantly contributed to the deaths of those concerned. It also asserted that if one is going to eat a foodstuff high in refined sugar, to give you an energy boost in a critical, survival situation, one should refrain from doing this until you are a few hundred metres from the place of safety.

It has to be said that all the individuals studied in the documentary were in a very weakened state due to exhaustion and hypothermia (Crawling on their hands and knees in deep snow, type situations), and this in combination with the fatigue caused by the reaction to the refined sugar, was what was thought to have resulted in their demise.

If I remember correctly, it was suggested that had they delayed the eating the high sugar energy bar until they were around a 100 metres from the building they were making their way toward, they would probably have survived.

However, I should restate that I have no medical expertise, and due to the length of time that I viewed the documentary, my memory of the programme may not be what it could be.

Best regards,
Paul.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Just be carefull of your teeth if you have a few and have to wait to brush.
i used to use them for staying awake whilst driving on my shift work. Trouble is that because they melt so readily in your mouth and mix with saliva you tend to leave a concentrated solution of dextrose at the base of your gums and it gets into all your fissures too. Ok no problem i hear but give it 3 or 4 hours when you have forgotten about it and got your second wind and the acid is eating into your teeth.
I had terrible problems for a while untill i gave up using them. Fillings, toothache and widening of fissures etc. More of a survival aid i would think or when comming first matters more.
great product just a friendly warning :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE