Devon Locations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2006
Devon
Hi

Does anyone know any good walks and camping locations in Devon. Would like to stay in wooland somewhere ideally, and far away from any civilisation. If no suggestions of that, maybe some more regular places?

thanks

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
At this time of year the Coast path on the north coast is nice and quiet, last few times ive been out ive not seen a sole, till i passed through the occasional village.

Then when summer time comes i drop onto the beaches and still fine solitude. And the occasional Lobster on spring tides :p . Remember to check your tides before going too far :rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2006
Devon
Im over Exeter way. Whats it like in Haldon woods. Never been in there before but they seem to be quite large from what i have seen of driving past them on the a38

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
try fenworthy or belever as these have been by me in the past
ive never used halden woods but have heard that they can
be rather busy with the wrong type of person if you know what i mean
theres plenty of woods knocking about if you have a survey map
the farm near fenworthy 63-84 on the map called teignhead farm
is a ruin theres plenty of camp fires there and your left alone although i
think you arnt ment to light fires plenty do light small ones
sussons down is another and theres plenty of lonly woods near
newton st syres of the 377 towards crediton os map 114

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Obviously I never meant to condone camping on the coast path ;)

Tho Ive never gotten a straight answer when i looked into overnights on the beach (above the tide line of course).

M

magicaltrevor

Hi,

I'm also based in Devon (Exeter), if anybody finds some nice places to practice bushcraft or if you fancy arranging a BCUK meetup then I'd be up for it.

Dying to get out but got nobody to go with <sob> :puppy_dog

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
exeter members might what to check out the thread on the south west knife show taking place in may.. there is a bushcraft day associated with it on the day before!

Mar 31, 2006
Devon
Hi all

Have just joined this forum today but it looks impressive :cool:

I am always happy to meet up with any one in the Devon area, I live in Tiverton, have been checking out the Wood near Bolham, just outside of Tiverton need to find out who owns it and whether it could be used.

Theres a small wood that I have used a couple of times with a mate in North Devon. My mate is good friends with the owner. So not sure if it could be used all the time.

STC

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I'm starting to find that Haldon is much more interesting than it first appears.

Having ridden it quite a bit during the earlier part of the winter, and generally explored a bit more, I now realise that there is quite a bit of poking around to be done there. It's pretty extensive end-to-end, so finding a quiet spot is possible ...

I'd suggest a look at the woods around Hennock too, the lakes up there make for good walking. The coast path, south beyond Torbay is spectacular, and in season, has some useful camping sites along it, so you can camp in peace.

Southwards, over the ridge at Haldon, you'll be spoilt for choice, Dartmoor to your right hand, the coast and countryside on the left ...

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
I'm a Sussex local but at uni in Exeter. I have a friend lives in north Devon and I visited him this weekend, we spent saturday at Heddons Mouth on the North Coast which is an amazing spot. On the coast path and popular but still quite for the moment, especially if you stray from the path between the car park and the beach.

On sunday we checked out the next little inlet, Woody Bay. The place is spectacular! Not a soul in sight tho there is a big hotel so that sadly probably isn't the case in summer. We wandered (or rather hacked through deep rhododendron up pretty alarmingly steep slopes) off the track and I stumbled face to face with 14 magnificent red deer hinds about 15 yards away before they casually wandered off!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING but tragically, no camera!

I'd be up for anything in Devon, as I'm sure my friend would. We've decided we definately have to plan a summer trip with some friends some time soon!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE