detering pigeon's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
A similar topic to the how to stop cats post, I live in a rural location and weve always had wood pigeon's in the garden,but recently we seem to have loads of them and they are(polite) pooping everywhere,my grass and paths are covered with it, the kids are getting on themselves and im getting on my shoes,so how do i deter get rid of these pest's(shooting though i would not really a option,no longer do i have any gun's and my middle daughter is a animal lover) would a decoy owl or hawk type thing put them off? any other suggestions? thanks.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yep a decoy predator might work,....birds of prey in flight are pretty effective, you can even try cutting one out of cardboard (a project for the kids :D) don't have to be too precise with the colouring but the silhouette has to be right.....I often use a cardboard cut out of a cat with a couple of marbles for eyes hidden in the vines growing up the front of the house to keep the blackbirds from eating the grapes, works too....if you have any furry toy animals you can wedge them in a tree....a scarecrow too may work, but what ever you use you have to change their position everyday as the birds get used to them....

Compact discs on a piece of cotton or thin string hung from branches may be worth a try too....

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the decoy birds work for a bit i stuck a decoy hawk in a tree near my allotment and had 3 weeks of pigeon free bliss.

i went yesterday and there was one perched right next to the decoy.

they look daft but they're actually pretty smart birds, they're fast and they have cracking eyesight. the only way to really get rid of them is to shoot them until the others learn that it's not healthy for them to stay.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
i would say the get used to anything after a while. i don't get any in me garden nowadays sinc ei started shooting them 2 years ago, befroe that y mum had a real problem with the kale and brassicas being eaten. we tried putting up a hawk decoy but within a few weeks they got used to it not being a threat to them and were back. we've tried hanging cd's, cat decoy. nothing works but shooting them. they are very good eating so i would recommend getting an airgun myself

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I shot 20 odd last year in the garden, 10 odd this year and I haven't seen one in the garden for a couple of weeks now. They tend to steer well clear now generally.

Lead at 600 feet per sec is quite effective for me too.

I found feeding the pigeons with seed so they land in my target area works the best.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Would love to shoot them with my HW80 but wouldn't dare on the allotmont with all the people walking about, so I use the netting builders fit on scaffholding to protect the crops pidgeons are partial to. Last year one of them got through the netting and I thought he would be mine to eat and couldn't believe he managed to escape me... they are really clever little buggers.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... my middle daughter is a animal lover...

I'm an animal lover, but I shoot things when it's necessary.

Does your middle daughter eat meat? If so, you would be doing her a service by showing her how it's produced.

Shoot the pigeons and eat them. An air rifle is fine.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
There's some great pellets available on the market to keep them away,

My personal favorites were Air Arms Field from a hide, or RWS Hobby for close quarter internal work 10 - 20 yards.

Go on you know you want to fry some suculent breast meat up with some shallots & red wine :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers guy's for the advice(think i will look into the various raptor kite/decoy side of things first) got rid of my last airgun 5yrs ago,though my Brother would lend me his if i asked, dont know what's made this year special for them to invade my garden in droves,they have up until now mostly stayed in the wooded area at the back of the garden,anyway thanks again now to do a bit of google fu for decoy's etc.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
They are an absolute pain, I have had to surround the balcony on my flat with netting to keep them off. Nothing seems to scare them. I wish I could shoot them, but on a balcony, no way! Nor on the allotments where it is expressly forbidden. No matter how many times you scare them, they just keep coming back. They don't call them homing pigeons for nothing.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I find the best way is to put a few pigeon decoys out on the ground in what I think is a natural sort of pattern, then go and sit behind some cammo netting with my gun, overlooking the decoys.

I've tried this quite often, the blessed things don't come anywhere near!:p

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE