Designing a Shed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
This is the Shed I designed for Mark Baigent, ( God I hope I write this correctly) by many more commonly known as Baggy
The Shed is 8 feet wide as requested and a little over 8 feet long the plan might you wanna build the shed are available, just send me a pm, and here as some snap shots of the frame.
it is constructed of 9 different types of beams, and can be secured either by screws or if you'dd want by simple peg connections, but enough talk lets show some pictures

Here are the 5 steps of slotting the frame together.
Step one: create the 3 house shaped frame pieces
step1thethreeframes_zpsd0563f79.jpg

Step two: secure the foundation beams
Step2theFoundationbeams_zpsff72f4f6.jpg

Step three: Secure the upper support beams
Step3securingthesupportbeams_zpsee2ee7b2.jpg

Step four: Add the End beam for the porch
Step4Addingtheporchsend_zpsa608ba93.jpg

And Step 5: Add the Roof latices
Step5securingtherooflatices_zps66b87adc.jpg

and all you have to do now is add some cladding and some flooring
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Going to need diagonal bracing if its clad with shiplap or T&G. if its getting a layer of OSB or ply first then that will give it the extra rigidity. IMO like.
Also I prefer to put a ridge board with plumbcuts at the tops of the common rafters at the roof join. Makes it stronger than the joint you have on the plans. With that one there's the possibility for one to slide past the other.

Plus its usually simpler (read quicker) to make the entire floor then set the walls on top, then clad down past the floor.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Well the current aplication of the design, was intended to be clad on the sides with planks, each of those planks would be screwed to each beam they pass, but even without this additional fastener the load carrying capability might you make this structure out of English White Oak, as it would be nicest you could support your average winged Piano on top of the roof, as it caries a load of about 1200 kilo's in the least favorable circumstances.

But I hear words that come out of experience so would you like to sketch out what you are saying it might bring a nice addition to the design.
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks Ruvio and no problem ^^,
By the way might anyone want the drawings of the individual beams, they are available in pdf just send me a pm and they are yours
Yours sincerely Ruud

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
This is the kind of diagonal bracing required by US codes for stick built housing. Its set into the studs on the inside of the building and stops the building from deforming like a parallelogram which pretty much any shed will do given time otherwise.
Look round a few old sheds and loads of them will have deformed. Its easy to prevent and not expensive on materials.
If you are cladding it either internally or externally with sheet material then its not needed because the sheet material gives the building the additional rigidity required.
I'm a carpenter and do quite a bit of timber framing so have a bit of an inkling as what's needed. Sorry but I don't do Sketchup designs, I just build things that other people design and about the most you get as far as drawn designs are what's termed as a cig packet sketch.
Much of that means I have to redesign architects fancy but impractical or incomplete designs.
fig0833.jpg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
looks great bud, i might have a project for you mate, i want to build me kids a play house, and need some drawings to work off, if you could help with that, it would be great.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This is the kind of diagonal bracing required by US codes for stick built housing. Its set into the studs on the inside of the building and stops the building from deforming like a parallelogram which pretty much any shed will do given time otherwise....

fig0833.jpg

I've never seen that type bracing used in my lifetime. I have seen it on older homes. As you said though, modern homes or rarely (never seen in my case) clad with anything other than sheet material whereas the older ones were often board clad.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Having built a very large shed and a smaller timber structure I can vouch for cladding in sheet. I used 5mm WBP plywood and it considerably increased rigidity. Even after diagonal bracing in corners. Large shed is still rock solid after twelve years and it is large at 34 square meters!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've never seen that type bracing used in my lifetime. I have seen it on older homes. As you said though, modern homes or rarely (never seen in my case) clad with anything other than sheet material whereas the older ones were often board clad.

Sheet material gives it the rigidity needed. Another way round it when board cladding is to put the cladding on at a 45 degree angle. Again that gives it some measure of triangulation and far more strength. Only problem with that is that every cut on the board ends have to be at a 45 degree angle and it takes ages longer to do.

There's some excellent videos on Youtube about framing by a bloke caller Larry Haun
If you look at this clip at about the four minute part, it explains the diagonal bracing required for walls, that one shows the bracing made from steel but it doesn't have to be steel.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sheet material gives it the rigidity needed. Another way round it when board cladding is to put the cladding on at a 45 degree angle. Again that gives it some measure of triangulation and far more strength. Only problem with that is that every cut on the board ends have to be at a 45 degree angle and it takes ages longer to do......

Mind I wasn't disagreeing with you. just commenting that since sheeting is the defacto standard now that the bracing is obsolete. Boards now (if applied at all) or done over the sheet material as an outer facade rather than as a structural charecteristic. And I might add, boards siding done this way is a very attractive way to finish a building IMO.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Any windows?

Looks like it'll have a little pourch too?

How tall is it [at apex and at sides?] how tall is that door opening?

Looks like a neat sketch and as said sheet/board cladding or some diaganol bracing:)

any images of it fully clad?

some rough idea of amount of materials?

Wow I didn't intend on having THAT many questions!

@ fishfish Looks like Soildworks was the program [on account of it saying Soildworks in the top left of his images :)]

I've never used Soildworks - looks like a neat program - I don't think it's a free one though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE