Desert DPM Issue Smock materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Does anyone know if the Desert DPM smocks have been available in All Cotton or 100% cotton?

Reason is I like the design of the current issue smock with the hood and zipped napoleon pockets and they are very cheap, so not worried about damaging it,
but I don't like the pattern Woodland or desert DPM, so i'm thinking I can dye a smock some neutral colour but only if they are not the Poly-cotton mix version.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
I seem to remember this cropping up before and the outcome was that it was pretty well near impossible to get rid of the camo pattern completely.
Litefoot.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
You can dye them, the secret being dye them darker than the brown so the pale base fabric optically drowns out the brown. You will need a lot of dye and then they will end up a kind of designer camo in very muted colours.

Sandsnakes

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
even the poly-cotton versions? I thought that polyester thread couldn't be dyed or am I thinking Nylon?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Polyester is dye proof - nylon dyes OK - hence "Dylon".....
Polycotton dyes badly, especially the intimate spun poly cotton. Core spun dyes better as only the cotton realy shows...
I have no idea what kind of threads the new combat smocks are other than they are polycotton.....

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
You can get black ones (MoD police issue?) from Jasper at Strikeforce, that's more neutral a colour than the cammy ones.

You might want to get it worn, washed and faded in the sun a bit though, all black might look a bit ninja-esque. I had a pair of black BDU trousers once, when faded to a kind of deepish grey colour (didn't take long) they were mega. The only other thing I can think of would be to ask a seamstress if they could knock up something in the smock pattern but out of a material of your own choice.

Just a word of warning though, the latest smock material (the one the post-ripstop field jackets and current issue hooded smocks are made from) isn't that quick drying - get it properly wet and you'll be that way for a while, unless you have a heat source or are doing some serious work in it and generating your own heat. The ripstop of earlier field jackets was a better material to my mind, more quick drying, more lightweight for summer or when exerting yourself, can still pop a Softy under it for when it's Baltic out or you are static, oh, and ripstop too. Perhaps there is a black ripstop one out there?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
There's OD copies knocking around the net, i'll get my m8 to send me the link to where he got his from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE