Depressing Apocalyptic Aussie Movies.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A while back I posted this thread about an Australian movie called 'The Rover'. It certainly isn't a 'happy' film, but I enjoyed it.

The other night I watched another depressing apocalyptic Australian Movie 'These Final Hours'.

I cannot really recommend it, I didn't enjoy it so much, mostly because I didn't care about most of characters, still it was well filmed and the plot certainly asked some interesting questions.

The gist is that a huge asteroid, several kilometres across is going to hit the Earth, Nasa and the rest swing into action to break the thing up. They fail and film begins ten minutes after the object lands somewhere in the North Atlantic.

A huge firestorm sweeps out from from the impact point and will eventually circle the globe wiping out all life on the planet.

The events of the film take place in Perth, Australia, which has twelve hours to wait before the firestorm arrives. As the film progresses intermittent radio broadcasts indicate the destruction of Europe, North America etc.

Of course knowing that the end is near everyone gathers their loved ones to them and sits down to quietly contemplate the end...

...of course they don't it all goes to hell in a bucket and the worst aspects of humanity come to the fore.

Here is the trailer.

[video=youtube;QaoF6byFQFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaoF6byFQFU[/video]

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Our antipodean chums seem to have a history of EOTWAWKI and LMOE films. Over the years I've seen a lot come out of NZ and OZ. I wonder if it's their relative isolation that puts them in the mind frame? Or maybe they're all just a bit Gretta Garbo and "want to be alone".

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Lots of end of the world movies from Australia, from "On The Beach", "The Quiet Earth" to the "Mad Max" series. But I wouldn't say they had any more of a propensity to the genre, than any other movie making country.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The other night I watched another depressing apocalyptic Australian Movie 'These Final Hours'.

(...)

Of course knowing that the end is near everyone gathers their loved ones to them and sits down to quietly contemplate the end...

...of course they don't it all goes to hell in a bucket and the worst aspects of humanity come to the fore.

Tired as I am of happy endings (ie Hollywood) I'll give it a try.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Fancying a lighter take on TEOTWAWKI I watched S.O.S. Save Our Skins the other night, in the vein of Simon Peggs Shaun Of The Dead two English geeks wake up in New York and seemingly every other human being has vanished from the face of the earth. They decide to figure out what happened while being pursued!

Very low budget but quietly funny. I've seen since that it appears as web episodes on a certain popular Tube viewing platform.

But here's the trailer.

[video=youtube;Awuf0tXdJ5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awuf0tXdJ5U[/video]

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway

I cannot really recommend it, I didn't enjoy it so much, mostly because I didn't care about most of characters, still it was well filmed and the plot certainly asked some interesting questions.

Watched it last night. Great film. Believable characters, and the development of the main character was interesting. Recommended!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE