Dental woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Had a chip come away from a bottom lower front on my way to an exped in the Alps a few years back. In the end I filed the rough bit down with my leatherman. Took a bit of courage but it was not really that bad. Told my father in law on my return (dentist) who had a look and said it was fine and that it was basically what he would do. Happened again this weekend so just sorted it with a diamond file - much more sophisticated tool.

PS I live in Wales and our dental service collapsed years ago.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
some of the tempory filling kits are a waste as they dont set but just seal the hole to keep acids out - the best stuff is crown cement as you can pack a filling and its hard wearing. the only issue is it disolves with citrus fruits. I tend to pack various bits if away including a course of amoxillin just incase I get an infection and a tube or two of bonjela or dentagel

a guy I did my basic with broke his front tooth before going to his brothers wedding, he came back having superglued a bit of stick chewing gum to it and colouring it with tippex to match :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

Yep, seems to be happening everywhere now. I just had a big rear tooth out last thursaday which subsequently got infected in the socket, more surgery Monday to remove bone fragments/grey flesh/pus etc, In again today to have it repacked :rolleyes: Totally grumpy at the mo grogged up with codamol's and nueofen's:yuck: :banghead: :banghead:
I live here 2 years now and couldnt find an nhs dentist. This was emergency treatment she said a 6 month check up would of spotted it before extraction was inevitable:D
Isnt pine resin or tar naturally antiseptic?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Had a chip come away from a bottom lower front on my way to an exped in the Alps a few years back. In the end I filed the rough bit down with my leatherman. Took a bit of courage but it was not really that bad. Told my father in law on my return (dentist) who had a look and said it was fine and that it was basically what he would do. Happened again this weekend so just sorted it with a diamond file - much more sophisticated tool.

I had to go private (Denplan) years ago or not have any kind of dentist at all - good old Wales - but then all my prescriptions are free, so I guess I break even in the long run - good old Wales.
As to filing my own teeth down - I busted a tooth on my wifes rabbit stew (!) filed it down with a swiss (model makers) file and my dentist thought it a very pro job. I did not tell him that I stabbed myself in the tonue with the file (a rat-tail) while doing the filing!
I have used my Leatherman to pull teeth before now - a Cubs wobbly tooth that was almost out and flapping around causing the brat discomfort and distress. His Mum was on camp with us and aproved the operation but was too sqeemish to do the job herself!
The Cub is now a builder, weighs several tons in pure muscle and is quite capable of removing peoples teeth with his knickles but waves at me in a friendly manner when he sees me!

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
Dental? I used to work in a dental laboratory and I hate it, but now when i look at people I cant but help look at their teeths its really anoying for me and them. Saying that I think I have a couple of full full spare dentures lying around somewhere hahahaha
laters

The Survivalist

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
any spare dentures going free just in case???
have had all sorts of teeth/gum problems.
after trying natural remdies such as myrrh tincture, oak powder, salt rinses aroma therapy oils,etc etc i find ibuprofen works wonders. eh !

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
back before the nhs often a brides wedding present from her family would be to have all her teeth out and a set of dentures to save her husband the expense of dental care.

I kid I went to school with had all his out at 19.

I always fancied steel teeth but I understand the ex-soviet dentists dont do them anymore :(

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
I got 1 pare deffo but i dont know where i have put it, the problem you might find though his that no set of dentures is ever the same due to a pataints palet and reaborbtion of the gums.

"Badgers like relaxing with the News of the World"

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
Emergency dental kit:

1 set of pliers
1 mirror

If you need it you'll use it!
After all who are you trying to impress in the middle of nowhere?

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Kenny,
you know why dentists have many different shaped heads and necks to their dental pliers? because if you do not grip a tooth squarley, you will shear of the enamel and expose the raw pulp and nerve underneath and it will still be attached to your jaw bone...

This will then require you to A) get the pliers attached to the nerve and pulp, and B) pull on it.

I can promise you now that I have had big, mean, rough tough guys in the department screaming the place down because they tried to use pliers to remove teeth.

Please don't use pliers, because you really, really don't want to cause more agony than you are already in.

B

Bulldog72

Kenny,
you know why dentists have many different shaped heads and necks to their dental pliers? because if you do not grip a tooth squarley, you will shear of the enamel and expose the raw pulp and nerve underneath and it will still be attached to your jaw bone...

This will then require you to A) get the pliers attached to the nerve and pulp, and B) pull on it.

QUOTE]

OW,OW,OW,OW,OW! That's actually made me feel ill! Absoulutely HATE going to the dentist - it's just expensive and miserable IMO and if I have to pay someone to inflict pain on me I can think of far more fun ways to do it! :naughty:

I don't normally carry any dental kit with my FAK but I'm sure it's a great idea to. I was in Berlin in January (the missus family are German) and I had massive holes in two of my teeth at the time (since had them extracted). When the cold Russian wind that you get there got inside my mouth it was horrendous - never known pain like it.:yikes:

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I am now talking with the wisdom of experience as today I had one of my back teeth removed , Not a straight forward extraction of course because when the filling came out some months ago I was "too busy" to have it seen to. So , after the weekend from hell as the tooth was infected and bloody sore had it removed in bits and felt as if he was digging for treasure when getting the roots out . I am now sitting with a very sore and swollen face .
If the same happens to any of you in the future please dont put off getting it seen to or attempt a self repair the pain involved at the end isnt worth it :)

Oh , and he took £50 off me for a surgical extraction . :(

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
In that program last year with the doctors looking at tribal medicines round the world I remember the little old woman (in nepal was it?) where they cauterised her tooth ache with a red hot poker. She never even flinched either.

Failing that, for toothache, putting half an asprin on the gum round the tooth will help significantly, or swill your mouth out with warm milk , NOT cold water! sometimes aching is caused by some tiny little peice of jaffa cake stuck in a cavity. At least that is my conclusion after having the most awful toothache when eating a jaffa cake, ive not had it that bad before , it only went after I swilled my mouth out and the relief was instant!

failing all that, try finding an oven door in the wilderness to tie your tooth to!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Great thread!! Read these to Mrs C (tooth puller) and had her laughing her butt off, wincing and shaking her head in equal measure. :D As many have said, if you need to use a temp repair kit thingy in the field go and see a dentist as soon as possible as it's just a patch job. I suppose it's like putting plastic padding bodyfiller on top of a rusty car, it's not going to stop it rusting underneath!

Cheers,

Alan

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I keep an emergency dental repair kit at home now, and regularly break into the clove oil. It is one of the Lifesystems kits, a bit modified in that it has a tube of Anbesol, (the adult bongela), a small bag of cloves and a packet of codiene/paracetamol pain killers in there. Anything with codiene in it I have found to be effective with dental pain, not so much paracetamol though. The small bag of cloves, well, I found out in the past, when a crown collapsed if you mash in a clove to the affected area, it cuts the pain and you have sweet breath to go with it. I made the collapsed crown last ten days doing that with the cloves and went through about four cloves a day. Clove oil makes one salivate massively, and can burn the gum, though I have heard peppermint oil works as well. Yarrow if you know it, works also.

I break into my kit regularly, because aside from the emergency dentist provided by the nhs, I have no dental care as I cannot get a dentist.Going private is not an option for a student in education. The emergency dentist does a half assed job, many of their repairs have fell apart within a couple of weeks, but they tend to use an almost two part epoxy filling which takes five minutes to cure and falls out quickly from experience. Getting an emergency appointment is a trial in itself !

I got shot teeth, because I brux at night, I even grind through gum guards and have tmd as a result, oh, and shot teeth, my dental kit gets used often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE