Dental woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Could you "repair" a broken tooth or repack a filling when you are out and about?
Given that you may be several days out before you could get medical help?

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I know of someone on here who had a pine resin filling in place for 10 years....

Bet everything he ate for those ten years tasted of pine resin :D.

As it so happens I actually do have a tube of filling in my first aid kit. Now, I just gotta remember the first aid kit...

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
I hate dentists. Especially the needle bit! :eek:

Several years ago I had a hole that needed filling, but I was about to travel & didn't have time to go to the dentist first. Honest! :D

I went & bought a repair kit, took care to follow the instructions, and that filling lasted me about 8 years! :D :D

Mind you, not having had professional attention the tooth had to be crowned. Probably cost me a LOT more than if I'd bitten the bullet & gone when I returned from my trip. :rolleyes:

I absolutely hate dentists after a bad childhood experience. Anyway I moved to a new area a few years back and my front crown fell out. I went to the dental hospital who put it back and they told me it was temporary crown-it had lasted 2 years. It kept falling out before I managed to register with a new dentist and I went through several dental repair kits before I found one that was any good. The lifesystems one is pretty bad-go to a chemist and buy a decent travellers kit with enough filling material in a wee tub to do several fillings and it's the best so far. The filling material will fix crowns almost permanently and certainly fill fillings that last several months. I've used mine alot and it's worth its weight in gold as I hate going to the dentist!

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i've had one of my wisdom teeth out today at 15:00
the stuffs worn off now and it's killing me!
they had to cut it out and stitch it back up :eek:
the worse bit was at the end cos all the stuff was laid out on a tray
covered in blood :eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah - I went through that as well! Twice!
I took the teeth home and tried to make a pendant out of them but broke them trying to drill them!
John

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
John Fenna said:
Yeah - I went through that as well! Twice!
I took the teeth home and tried to make a pendant out of them but broke them trying to drill them!
John
Were you planning to keep the pendant for yourself or give it to Mrs Fenna?? :D

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
kb31 said:
i've had one of my wisdom teeth out today at 15:00
the stuffs worn off now and it's killing me! :eek:

I feel for you i had 3 taken out at hospital about 2 and a half weeks ago still a bit of swelling!
as soon as all the anesthetic wears off you feel better not sure why but it does not feel so bad.
chin up,
lou

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You can get Dental Repair Kits for about 8 quid that include filling, tools, clove oil, etc. I carry one but - luckily - have never had to use it.

I think Lifesystems do one.

You can do repairs but, as usual with these things, it's always worth having a proper check-up when you get back, otherwise you'll probably be in for a mountain of pain. :eek:

Eggs. Suck. Teach.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
Boots and Superdrug do kits which are pretty good for a patchup job

Be wary of using superglue/araldite/evostick - all have been tried with often 'interesting' results for all concerned:

Chemical burns
finger glued to crown
denture glued to teeth nearby
and most impressively......
upper and lower dentures glued to both patient and each other (had to be sectioned in the patients mouth and removed in several pieces)

If you're going somewhere interesting then get things fixed before you go.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Dental problems are a bummer. Its one of those things best dealt with before it gets a real problem as tooth ache only ever gets worse :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE