Delivering a baby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I recommend a stiff drink at the local establishment whilst all the "womanly business" takes place, preferably with a pipe in hand whilst congratulating your self with the boys.
More than likely you will be in the middle of a war zone, god speed, god speed.

And enjoy, good luck on not blabbling like your new born ;)

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I assisted with this once during the ambulance strike just before Christmas 1989. We were in Army ambulances and got sent to a pub in Kilburn, when we got there no one knew we had been called. Turns out one of the barmaids had gone up stairs to rest as she was heavily pregnant whilst the rest of the bar was in full swing. She had gone into labour but no one had heard her (Or gone to check on her). She had called her home but they were all out so next call was 999. It was too late to move her by the time we got there but everything went pretty well and we managed to find a Dr in the bar who was just about sober enough to get the job done with us. Mother and baby did well as far as I know but she didn't offer to name it after me :) It was not the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and I have religiously avoided having children of my own so it could have scarred me for life.

I have been in some pretty remote places as a medic and thought this would come up but they all tend to deliver their own. So it seems that it is all still pretty natural and nature gets on with it. But obviously the comparative mortality rates mean it's probably not the best way to do things.

As for what to do, try to make sure the mother doesn't push and get to hospital or wait for an ambulance (There are techniques that can help with this), if that is not an option and she is dilated and crowning, get the towels get mum to push until the head clears then stop and catch the baby. Clear the airway make sure the cord is not around the neck and make sure the baby is breathing gentle smacks gentle blowing etc. Dry it and keep it warm. Hot water was from when you didn't have running hot water and was to wash in as you should try to stay as sterile as you can. You should leave the cord attached until an ambulance arrives unless you can't remove it from the babies neck only then tie in 2 places and cut to untangle the cord. The placenta is scary.

Good luck and congratulations, I am sure everything will be fine but it is natural to worry.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
I delivered my 3rd child. She was a whopping 9lb 4oz and it took my wife less than 15mins. My word of warning is they are slippy as hell when they come out. Try not to drop them. Shortly afterwards the first responder arrived, followed by 2 men in an ambulance, then the midwife, and another midwife. It took me longer to make all the tea and coffee than deliver Miss Willow.

As others have said, don't panic (there is lots of blood), reassure the wife, check the neck for the cord, and warm blankets are a good plan.

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Get the awesome book "Where There is No Doctor" by David Werner, cover babies and many other things in relative detail. Highly recommended.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
So I searched and I think I may be the first to ask :)
or point me in the right direction for the best info.
Thanks

use a condom! lol seriously though mate,congratulations,and to be honest women do it all naturally,the body does the work by instinct/design,about all you would have to do in a normal birth is cut and tie the chord,remember to tie off close to baby and then another tie off towards the mum and cut between the two,the placenta will come on its own in a naturalbirth just take s a bit longer than with the injection.i have been at all 5 of my kids births and to be honest the worst bit is the shouting,but then i say that from the position of not being the one laid there!lol

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Just dont go down this muppets route

[video=youtube;1y8B-J3CWzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8B-J3CWzw[/video]

the real muppetry stars 5 minutes in

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Just dont go down this muppets route

[video=youtube;1y8B-J3CWzw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8B-J3CWzw[/video]

the real muppetry stars 5 minutes in

Wow, that Tyler bloke is particularly 'special'... I can see a Darwin Award coming his way sometime soon.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just think how dangerous the intelligent ones are - and there's plenty of 'em in the states and elsewhere............scary stuff, eh?

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Lasses often have similar childbirths to their mothers... if her mum shelled 'em like peas, you'll hopefully have few problems :) I'd echo all the sage words of previous posters and add to ensure your gal is in good physical form beforehand. Being a believer in herblore, I took raspberry leaf teas for a few weeks before to strengthen the cervix (not too long before) and when I went into labour, took a 30x arnica which is helpful to both postpartum in mother and child- I breastfed so took them over the next 2 days as well. Sounds daft but make sure her lead-up diet keeps her bowels moving easily, you don't want to find straining results in you having to grab your baby from the S bend ;)

You can't underestimate the value of a calm and happy environment :) And it can be a wonderful, almost out of body experience where your lass can rise beyond the pain of the actual birth if it is natural and theres no need for intervention. Ripping of the outer membranes is usually better than cutting as the ragged tear heals better than a cut :)

Hope it goes really well for you if it comes to pass, lovey :)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
One could be forgiven for not wanting children after reading all this. But we had them just the same. Here in the states there was a fad to take "childbirth" classes, which folks probably still do, and one got the impression that all the ladies would give birth during the last class. That didn't happen, of course, but one didn't wait that long. My wife drove herself to the hospital the first time, so I see no reason any wife couldn't do the same, although I will admit it simplifies the parking it you drive her instead.

One reads in the paper of babies being delivered everywhere from the front steps to the hospital lobby, so it may be more common than is generally thought, but of course, those are the newsworthy events. I imagine the hospital charges are incurred if it's a do-it-yourself in the lobby, no doubt. However, childbirth in any fashion is an awfully bloody (mean "with blood") affair, which tends to make you cringe when you hear the expression "surgical strike," as if surgery were bloodless.

Our first one was born at the stroke of midnight, December 31, 31 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE