dehydrating meals in the oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well i have been toying with the idea for a while, im getting in some mountain time soon and wanted some freeze dried light weight meals to take with me, how ever i do not want to pay the price of them, i dont have a dehydrator, so oven it was to see what i could do...

mince was the meat of choice and i chose to do all the bits separately.

i used about 600-700 grams of mince, cooked it of in a pan then washed it well under the hot tap, i spread it out evenly and thinly on baking sheets placed it in the oven high up. the oven was set to 75-80 c and is fan assisted which helps, i kept the door closed the whole time.

the mince came out very well and only took 4 hours to dry, i took the trays out every 30 mins for the first hour and gave them a stir to aid the drying, after that every hour or so. the mice was a good even small size and dried evenly, mostly.

i also did some red onion and carrot, cut into fine dice and dry fried until slightly soft, this was in the top shelf and again worked very well. i used 1 large red onion and 3 medium size carrots, this took just a little longer at 4.5 hours.

the plan is to mix the ingredients together add some gravy powder and steak seasoning, maybe some stock cubes with a dash of taco spice, add boiling water in a thermal mug leave to soak, hay presto, cheep tasty light weight meal.

the pasta bol is in the oven as i write this, it will take allot longer so when i got to bed will turn the oven down to 60 c ish and see what its like in the morning...

no pics as yet but will take some of the end product tomorrow.

any thought ect welcome.

regards.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hows this sam?

pu7ypa7y.jpg
y6anasab.jpg
dumepaje.jpg
ebaguvuz.jpg
hyzybavy.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Chris :)

The best I've made yet is beef mince with jerk seasoning, onion powder, fine breadcrumbs and a few dashes of soy. Your mix sounds great.

TBH, It's hard to go wrong-it still tastes of beef.

Om nom nom...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the oven has been on 8 hours so far, another 2 and i should be done, with about 3-4 meals worth, maybe more, but this is just a trial run...;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've been drying food for some years now but to be honest don't like home dried complete meals. Dry fry your mince and rinse under boiling water, take dried veg of choice and make your meal in camp, they will taste better. Stock cubes help, dried soups like tomato or oxtail make your sauce. Why mess about drying pasta when you can buy five minute pasta (or rice) in various sauces for pennies?

Chris, first step is to buy a dehydrator when you can, around £30 is worth saving for and may well be cheaper than running an oven for hours on end mate. Next step is to experiment at home as there is nothing worse than cooking a meal at camp that does not leave you feeling fed and happy.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I've been drying food for some years now but to be honest don't like home dried complete meals. Dry fry your mince and rinse under boiling water, take dried veg of choice and make your meal in camp, they will taste better. Stock cubes help, dried soups like tomato or oxtail make your sauce. Why mess about drying pasta when you can buy five minute pasta (or rice) in various sauces for pennies?

Chris, first step is to buy a dehydrator when you can, around £30 is worth saving for and may well be cheaper than running an oven for hours on end mate. Next step is to experiment at home as there is nothing worse than cooking a meal at camp that does not leave you feeling fed and happy.

TBH rik for the amount that i would use a dryer its not really worth getting one, i just needed a weekends worth for some mountain time, and refuse to pay around 8 pounds for 1 meal, so the oven experiment is more cost effective anyway, and there is always the cous cous cured sausage ect ect that i will take anyway, this is just in case i go again when the snow comes really, cant wait for the snow and to get some use of the crampons.

thanks rik....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE