Definition Of Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Also it is about being able to make and adapt things. I live in a throw away society and people have asked me "why are you carving a spoon, what is the point, surely you can buy one really cheaply" my response is "because I can, and that is important to me" I want to be able to make things. Now this is where I might sound a bit silly but it makes me feel more of a man. To me a man should be able to use a knife and make and provide, these things are being lost and replaced with stereotypes of loutish behaviour.

I think you're on the right track there...

Here's something I posted on a previous similar thread, which I think may be relevant, and certainly sums up a lot of my own thinking. From Kitto's "The Greeks", discussing a quality called "arete":

Thus the hero of the Odyssey is a great fighter, a wily schemer, a ready speaker, a man of stout heart and broad wisdom who knows that he must endure without too much complaining what the gods send; and he can both build and sail a boat, drive a furrow as straight as anyone, beat a young braggart at throwing the discus, challenge the Pheacian youth at boxing, wrestling or running; flay, skin, cut up and cook an ox, and be moved to tears by a song. He is in fact an excellent all-rounder; he has surpassing arete.

Arete implies a respect for the wholeness or oneness of life, and a consequent dislike of specialization. It implies a contempt for efficiency...or rather a much higher idea of efficiency, an efficiency which exists not in one department of life but in life itself.

To me, "bushcraft" is just one part of that. I built my own hi-fi and fixed my own TV too. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I had time to be a Scout Leader, we (the Leaders) always used to say "Scouting would be great if it was not for the Scouts"!.
For me Bushcraft IS Scouting without the Scouts - just look at your Scout handbooks for your definition(s) - it kind of works for me (along with British Red's definition)...
Am I a BP bushcrafter or an Assoc. Bushcrafter? I am not sure....lets have more pointless controvercy along with vegan/spelling/animal murdering/politics/religion/s*x/child disciplining/snoring in camp etc - I love stirring it!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
S'funny that Ray Mears' best book is called The Survival Handbook... not mentioning bushcraft at all... and the guy who wrote (Northern) Bushcraft talks about being a survivalist!

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
in combat n survival in the 80s
there was bits called stone age survival that were more bushcraft than the
sas bear kind
am sure ray did some of them cos the photos of stone tools etc are the same as
the survival handbook

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Only problem with the "Bushcraft" title is that the UK doesn't have much that to me would qualify as "Bush".

I will stick with the "Herbacious bordercrafter" title cos I doubt I have been anywhere in the UK thats more than ten miles away from a road. :)
Well, five.

Hell, might as well be honest and say I just like going camping every once in a while and can't be arsed carrying much in the way of tents.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
John Fenna said:
When I had time to be a Scout Leader, we (the Leaders) always used to say "Scouting would be great if it was not for the Scouts"!.
For me Bushcraft IS Scouting without the Scouts - just look at your Scout handbooks for your definition(s) - it kind of works for me (along with British Red's definition)...
Am I a BP bushcrafter or an Assoc. Bushcrafter? I am not sure....lets have more pointless controvercy along with vegan/spelling/animal murdering/politics/religion/s*x/child disciplining/snoring in camp etc - I love stirring it!

Ah, but can those other than you (or indeed "Tommy Tenderfoot #1") swim with purpose good former Scout person? For suerly when that "awful time comes, when one sees someone drowning and you are a swimmer, in you surely must go and get hold of them and bring that person safe to shore. And you have saved a fellow creature's life. But if you can't swim? Then you have a horrible time. You know you ought to do something better than merely call for help while your fellow creature is fighting for their life before your eyes. I won't desribe it - it is a horrible nightmare, and will be all the rest of your life when you think it was partly your fault that the poor creature was drowned. Why your fault? Because if you had been a true" BUSHCRAFTER "you would have learnt swimming and would have been able to save that life".

Cheers!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Swim bedammed!
I don't do swimming! - I am a canoeist and we leave swimming to kayakers!
With Global warming(see I got it in!) we need more canoes to get around the swollen swamps of NW Europe!
Now I will stop being silly, this started as a serious thread... sorry for hijacking it - Bushcraft, like life is what you make it!
(This ! key is complaining that I over work it! Cheek!)
John(!)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
"bushcraft for me is a means to escape modern life, if only for a moment. not to have to conform to someone else rules as to what i can and can't do. Like Heath I like making things, I don't care that I can buy the things cheaper. to me, manufactured things have no soul, nothing of the person who's made it. I don't like things I can't fix and have to rely on "experts", can't stand modern cars, you can't fix the darn things, can't even find the engine at times!!!Give me a morris traveller or an old 2cv anyday, I can fix these.
It is playing in the woods, really just what I was doing when I was a kid, collecting wild fruits, plants, making bows, making dens or treehouses (without having to have planning permission) being confortable outside. Its an escape. :D

I hope this does not sound like a rant because it was not meant to be :rolleyes:

lyttlegough

Nov 7, 2006
N. Ireland
'All things to all men'
To me it's enjoying nature without damaging it - the sustainability idea. Also an antidote to the pace of modern living - some things just can't be bettered or hurried.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Bushcraft is a winter evening pratice, sitting in your armchair with your expensive kit about your feet, sharpening your favourite knife and watching re runs of RM on the telly for the umpteenth time while dreaming of Spring.

Truthfully, it is the Boy Scouting I did in the '50's and '60's for the wealthier old person I have become.
Read and digest Scouting For Boys, pick the kit tips from Nessmuk, and hints from Kephart and you are a 'bushcrafter'.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
As expected - you chaps and chapesses amaze me! I was a little worried at first that I had opened a can of worms that I would later regret going anywhere near but, as expected, you have done exactly what I wanted you to do.

I am actually an English teacher and so I could very easily have gone to dictionary or to wikipeidia and gotten a definition of Bushcraft, but I think I already know what that is and it's not what I read on this web site and what I enjoy so much about fraternizing with you all. We could play the semantic game and argue about actual definitions forever and it would never get us anywhere.

What I really wanted to know and what you have told me so eloquently is, what does bushcraft (with a small 'b') or whatever you want to call it, mean to YOU. Why do you do it? What is the attraction? Why did I spend Christmas day in the back garden making a hazelwood spoon? Why did I fall asleep on the couch the other night cuddling my new axe? Why did I make hot chocolate with my kids on a Pepsi can stove on the kitchen table right next to a perfectly good stove and kettle? And why is it that I’m sure you all do similar unexplainable things?

I can't answer all these questions, but I know there is something about being out of doors, being self reliant, doing things and learning skills that I know my ancestors were doing perhaps thousands of years ago, about knives, tools, 'kit', trees, water, animals, good company (I could go on for ever) that I enjoy and that makes me feel closer to humanity.

All your definitions are personal and valid - no one can argue with them, dispute them or claim they are wrong - at most they can add to or give a different definition.

Please continue adding to this thread and, if you would like to, have a look at my new thread on Bushcraft Chatter - I wish I could put a link in but I don't know how to – it’s called ‘My Space’.

And before anyone thinks it would be a good idea to correct my spelling or grammar because I am an English teacher (nay, Head of English, no less) don't bother, its been done a hundred times before and its not clever!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
To me it means making the outdoors your home for a bit, using only what you can carry on your back and nobody knowing that you were there afterwards.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
British Red said:
This got heated last time it was brought up and I was about to suggest we didn't rake it over again. But its for school and I shouldn't be such a grumpy bear :eek:

So might I suggest that the "rules of engagement" are that we don't argue with or flame one another's definitions?

Here's mine

"I have absolutely no idea what Bushcraft is. Its a handy "catch all" title to cover lots of activities including outdoor pursuits , camping, nature, woodworking, naturalism, botany, paleo re-discovery, survival skills and, perhaps most importantly, acting like a big kid and making dens in the woods. The one thing I do know is the particular "meal" that each person selects from the extensive menu of skills and interests is different"

Red
That totally sums it up for me as well Red well put :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE