Deer!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
While on one of my many walks through my local woods I noticed something large moving in the bushes. Decided to go on my impulsive side and jumped staright into a bush and followed a small trail carefully taking note of small footprints and droppings. Eventually caught up with a small roe deer. It was amazing.. my first time properly tracking an animal and what a success. You can really see why some cultures have such a strong sense of respect for certain animals. Took me a while to get there tho, got caught up investigating the carcass of a rabbit, looking too see if it was worthwhile skinning it :D Whatever killed it beat me to it tho it was completely ripped apart. Also saw a tawney owl on the way so it has been an eventful day to say the least..... Not to mention the fact that because of my cat im now hand rearing a week old mouse that he caught :D
Any tips anyone can give me about tracking??

JeroenK

Apr 25, 2009
Deventer, NL
www.peatfreak.com
Just be out there so you get more events like this, they're the best teacher :)

And for cold rainy days a book or two... Tom Browns' Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking and Jon Youngs' Animal Tracking Basics for example... A good guide for signs will also help (like Preben Bangs') and of course books about the wildlife in your area :)

Have fun!

One recent encounter from myself (where I also had a videocamera handy):

[video=youtube;xeTE_Nuo-FI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeTE_Nuo-FI[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE