Deer skin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT has just given me a tutorial (and a neatly printed out crib sheet :eek: ) of how to post photos from my picassa thingie.
So, I'm going to try it out.

The deer skin came from the one that my friend, a butcher to trade, showed me how to take apart in joints I recognise, not just as amorphous bits of venison :D

It was left in a black bag in my freezing cold shed for a week until I got time to finally open it out and think about dealing with it.
The original intention had been to make rawhide from it, and smoke tan it at the Scottish New Year meet at Wiston Lodge.
However, having opened it out, and the pelt is lovely and it feels sound, no holes since it was a high neck shot that felled the animal, that seemed a bit of a waste.
I'll see how it goes, and will post my progress, but for the present I'll give the washing machine method a try.

Firstly, remove all the visceral tissues from the inside of the skin.

Easier said than done. They don't want to come off :rolleyes:
I could scrape them off, but that can damage the skin with little nicks and scars. I could cover the entire insides in salt and stretch the skin out and leave it to dry. This makes a very fine salty crumbly surface which just rubs off, but it doesn't always lend itself to keeping the pelt.
I'm hand working the skin clean.

Here's as far as I'd gotten by 9 am this morning. Bitter cold and numb I gave up and made like a taxi for my Uncle for the rest of the day :sigh: No daylight to do anymore today and it's not a job you want to do in the warm :yuck:

IMG_0974.JPG

Sika deerskin, about three quarters peeled.

IMG%200975.JPG

Sika deerskin, with most of the visceral tissues peeled from the hide.

IMG_0976.JPG

Easing the fine layer off the hide.

IMG_0977.JPG

The aim is to remove the thin tissues while leaving the hide intact without damaging the underside of the hair follicles.

IMG_0978.JPG

It's hard work because it doesn't want to peel, and if it's scraped it can damage the hide

IMG_0979.JPG

Often there's a very thin (this one's about 1mm thick) meaty layer lying directly under the skin. Butchering doesn't remove this, so it has to come off with the rest of the cawl.

IMG_0980.JPG

Easing back cleanly, and at this point I decided to see if I could manage to keep the pelt sound too.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, well that no workie :(

And my tech refs are totally engrossed in the bowels of a dead computer :sigh:

Anyone know how to fix this so that the images show ?

Pretty please ?

Toddy

p.s. How come I had to add the caption to the first photo by editing it in here ?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep that works,

right, I think you have pasted in the URL and then added the img tags

The trouble is the forum software has abreviated the URL. Next time click the mountain image thingy when making the post and paste the full URL into the pop up dialogue box.

That'll work

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure Toddy,

I clicked the link, grabbed the "full" URL and then pasted it in using the dialogue box....

Seemed to work

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For some reason the forum seems to have inserted into the start and end of my link ... Thanks for the help :You_Rock_ cheers, M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it really helped that it was soooo cold.
I really was frozen by the time I stopped. I think the cold stops the tissues stretching quite so much and that helps them seperate.
You're right though, my hands and forearms fair got a work out :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Finished removing as much as I could of the visceral tissues. Tiny fatty bits at the rump were a real pain :sigh:
I don't know what the bloody bit just below the shoulders is, might be bruising, it certainly seems to be in the skin rather than on it. We'll see how it turns out after it's washed.

IMG_0981.JPG

Deer hide with visceral tissues removed

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

Still 'looks' kind of messy, but it is ready for the wash now.

I've put it into the washing machine, on the ordinary daily wash programme 40 oC with double load of biological washing liquid (Persil :rolleyes: :D)

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've taken it out of the washing machine and there's a fair amount of loose hair. Then I thought about it, the pelt still seems sound enough, and there's no more loose hair than I would expect if I'd brushed the animal.
I still think this one is worth trying to keep the pelt.

IMG_0984.JPG

Straight out of the washing machine, looking good so far.

IMG_0985.JPG

On the whole I'm quite pleased with it :)

IMG_0986.JPG

The pelt is dense, beautiful and even wet feels wonderful.
I've got the washing machine washing itself out now with nothing in it. Give the drains a chance to clear :rolleyes:
I'll put the hide back in when it's finished but with loads of fabric conditioner.
Then have another look and see if I still think the pelt is worth trying for.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought that this skin had hung around a bit too long for this method to work, but it *seems* sound enough so far.
It's been very cold, and that's slowed down the rotting thankfully.
HWMBLT says it was stinking, but I didn't think it was that bad tbh, and I'm the vegan :rolleyes:

I knew that if the fur started to come free during the wash it wasn't worth worrying over. Just get the hide into a bucket of cold water for a few days and let the rest slip off. The skin could then be rawhide tanned using the handcream and smoke method.

cheers,
Toddy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
that looks good Toddy.

is that the skin you had hanging up at Galgael?

i always mean to have a go at tanning some rabbit skins but never get round to it.

andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, this is the one from the venison last week. The stuff that got made into Lorne sausages.

The one in Galgael is being salted, Ian's doing that one to make the skin for a bodhran.

This method is suppoesed to make good skins from rabbits :D

cheers,
M

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dont let it dry out and then put in the washing machine as the hair will slip been there done that.
Looks good so far!
D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds like it could be disastrous for the drains :eek:

I've done a few this way and thankfully they've never shed much when in the machine :)

The last one I did was Roe, before that it was a Red, the hair that did come off seemed much finer than the stuff that's come from this Sika. It's almost like stiff guard hairs that have come free.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE