Deer kegs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Who can help me with some information about Deer kegs please? Do they sting or bite? What is the effect of a bite/sting? I am going on a trip to Knoydart and or Moidart. I understand that when the midges are gone, the Deer kegs come out? (only in Scotland?)

thanks in advance,
Lush

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Mmm haha, I thought it was strange I did not get ONE single return in Google. I was told, through email, that their name is Deer kegs. But now I understand they are horse flies.

I know those critters very well :)

Thanks for putting me in the right direction!

We do have those in The Netherlands. It hurts a bit when they bite and often you see a tiny little hole in your skin with blood isn't it?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's deer keds, not kegs... They're not horse flies, they're quite different. Really annoying little buggers, and they can bite, although they don't seem to do it often. They will drive you barmy if you pass through a heavily infested area though...

They will be out in force in the later part of the season, especially in remote areas like Knoydart.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
It's deer keds, not kegs... They're not horse flies, they're quite different. Really annoying little buggers, and they can bite, although they don't seem to do it often. They will drive you barmy if you pass through a heavily infested area though...

They will be out in force in the later part of the season, especially in remote areas like Knoydart.

Huh, I only get returns on Deer clegs. They are a species of horse flies according to Wikipedia. How their bite is described is just how I know it. Clegs would be the local name (according to Wiki). They are much smaller in size though then the kind I know.

Of course you might be right Gregorach! :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, clegs are horse flies, but keds are a different beast.

I'd never run into them myself until a year or two back, up at Loch Laggan in the middle of the rut. You know when you're in an area frequented by deer because hordes of these evil clinging beasties descend on you. I didn't get bitten, but my cousin did, once. No major effect.

The worst thing is that they're really well designed for clinging on to the deer, so they're really quite hard to get off.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
If you're talking about these:

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirvikärpänen

We call them "moose fly". If they land on you it's a mistake on their part. Once they land they shed their wings and if you're a moose (sorry ladies), they will want to lay eggs on you. They do bite, but not often. The bite can be extremely painful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE