Deer Hides

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Hi

I was wondering if anyone new where I could get salted deer hides from? :?: My usual supplier, who I get around 15 a year from, has mentioned that he doesn't think he will be able to supply them to me this year :?: Some new strange law just come out :cry:

Any ideas?

Thanks
James

leon-1

James Watson said:
Hi

I was wondering if anyone new where I could get salted deer hides from? :?: My usual supplier, who I get around 15 a year from, has mentioned that he doesn't think he will be able to supply them to me this year :?: Some new strange law just come out :cry:

Any ideas?

Thanks
James

James, it may be an idea for you to have a chat with Stuart, I seem to recall that he has dealt with Deer hides before now. :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Pearce Tandy do the deer skins, all prepped and tanned.

They're based in Northampton, 01604 407177.
They might do hair on stuff as well.

Cheers

Mark

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I might be able to get some, been talking to a guy for a while who says I can have some off him. They will be literally off the deer and into my freezer, not prepped at all. If I do get some I'll take them to the wilderness gathering if anyone wants one, or if you're not going PM me and I'll see what I can do. No promises though as I don't have them in my hand yet!

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Buckshot said:
Pearce Tandy do the deer skins, all prepped and tanned.

They're based in Northampton, 01604 407177.
They might do hair on stuff as well.

Cheers

Mark

Hi mark. I know of Tandy. There only about 30mins from me. A great place. Unfortunately they only supply processed skins.

Lurch, I've had a look at light my fire, they are a little pricy. I've been getting my salted hides for £5 a peace.

Hi Rhoda again. Thanks for the offer but I'm looking to get around 20 a year. I'm into brain tanning in a big way :naughty: Unless there's something special. Do you know what species your getting?

Thanks guys for brain storming if you think of any thing else let me know.

James

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
I've just had a strange thing happen. :yikes: 5 min after posting my last message my phone range. It was my hide supplier :yikes: I haven't spoken to him in a year :yikes: He asked if I had rang him last week? I hadn't :yikes: His wife told him I had :yikes: He also asked if I wanted any hides this year :shock: i said yes :biggthump

So I've got 2 or 3 hides that I can part with, for trade. if anyones interested :?:

James

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Stew said:
Hi James,

Hope you don't mind me asking but what do you do with the hides after you've tanned them? Sell them on or make stuff?

Hi stew,

Well I'm only a beginner at the moment, but I am really getting in to it, I've been trying different methods. Wet/ dry scrape etc. i want to try a Hot water soap tan. Its onlt takes 15 hours from Kill to smoke. The hides I've tanned so far, I've made stuff. The next project is a buckskin shirt. I also make traditional native american stuff, drums, beaded bags/ fans etc. which I have in the past sold. I was thinking of making some raw hide to sell :?:

If your after some brain tan buckskin there's a guy in peterporough I think, who sells his hides. You can find a link to his website on www.braintan.com

braintan.com is a great site. You can get all you need to tan. It's along way to ship a hide though :lol: They have a great DVD also.

are you a tanner stew?

James

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
James Watson said:
are you a tanner stew?

Not really. Me and the old man played around with tanning rabbit, fox and squirrel roadkill years ago. I don't think the rabbits turned out very well but the squirrel and fox are both kicking around.
The skins are hard as anything though. They would need softening badly if I were to do anything with them.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Stew said:
Not really. Me and the old man played around with tanning rabbit, fox and squirrel roadkill years ago. I don't think the rabbits turned out very well but the squirrel and fox are both kicking around.
The skins are hard as anything though. They would need softening badly if I were to do anything with them.

If you were to get into tanning again, I wood look at matt Richards DVD. He makes it look so easy :wink:

Depending on how you tanned your hides, you can probably get them soft again :biggthump

James

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
James Watson said:
If you were to get into tanning again, I wood look at matt Richards DVD. He makes it look so easy :wink:

Depending on how you tanned your hides, you can probably get them soft again :biggthump

James

I can't remember how they were one as it was so long ago but I think we might have used alum in the process. :confused:

I'lll have to ask the old man if he remembers.

Sep 18, 2016
Igualada
Hi

Any ideas?

Thanks
James

Hi James, we collect deerskins (and some fallow deers) in Spain. Please feel free to contact me at: jp@jpomesleather.es.
Greetings from Igualada (Barcelona).Jep Pomés/J. POMES LEATHER S.L

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Better late than never...
I for one might be ordering some hides...

Good thread.

Dont kill the Zombies....bring them back instead...😀

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE