Deep frying in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iteki

Mar 5, 2006
Irish in Sweden
Had myself a little idea about how whether it would be feasible to deep fry in the field. Open fire would be a bad idea cos you would likely go up with flames, but I rekon I could do it safely enough over a Trangia.

Anyone want to take bets on whether the oil will get hot enough? Anyone got ideas about what might be nice deep fried at camp?

My list so far includes poppadoms, prawn crackers and donuts!
And of course chips nummy!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I reckon the Trangia will cut it temp wise, but you will need to refill it a couple of times. Controlability will more likely be an issue rather than temperature.

I have done it with my Nova! ;)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Iteki said:
Had myself a little idea about how whether it would be feasible to deep fry in the field. Open fire would be a bad idea cos you would likely go up with flames, but I rekon I could do it safely enough over a Trangia.

Anyone want to take bets on whether the oil will get hot enough? Anyone got ideas about what might be nice deep fried at camp?

If you are daft enough to carry a pan full of oil into the wild it has to be deep fried mars bars in a crispy batter!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Wisely or unwisely, me and a couple of mates did make chips in a large bean can over an open fire, along with a little brook trout we had caught. When the oil is cold again it can go back in the bottle again.
They were nice, big rustic chips...

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Iteki said:

We make fry bread (deep fried) over an open fire all the time. Just have to watch the fire.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've deep fried over a large catering sized sweetcorn tin. An improvised brazier. Use a wok or one of those stainless steel curry dishes you can get from Asda. Pieces of chicken dipped in a batter of plain flour and an egg mixed up with water. C'est magnifique :) ..........Oh and use charred pieces of wood (charcoal) from your fire to cook with.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I have seen Scouts trying unsuccessfully to make chips over gas burners. The oil didn`t get hot enough to fry. They ended up with chips boiled in oil. I think they added the chips before the oil was hot enough and the temperature never got hot enough.
The way I think it could be done is either to shallow fry in 1cm oil or use a small pan and a minimum of oil to for deep frying.
I think its a sort of heat (stove), mass(oil, pan and food), temperature(for frying) heat losses(cooling effects) equation. The heat source is (I assume) constant, the required temperature is constant so you just have to play around with the mass of oil pan and food and reduce the heat losses.
Of course the best heat source is charcoal, embers or an open fire on which you would have an easily variable heat source but you must be careful. It would still be best to use the smallest amount of cooking oil in case there are problems.
Have fun.

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
If you used a stove like the Nova or Optimus 111 you would have no problem generating enough heat. Remember to cook on a hot oil for a while, remove chips, get the oil very hot and cook again for a few minute. Never tried this, but I may give it a go at the weekend.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
KIMBOKO said:
It would still be best to use the smallest amount of cooking oil in case there are problems.
Have fun.

We use very little oil for "deep frying." A matter of efficiency in cooking - and weight (how much oil do you want to carry?).

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't bung a whole bunch of chips in at once, add them one or two at a time, otherwise you will lose the heat quickly. Nessmuk has something to say about frying in the wilds, but as I am about to go out with my eldest for a quick tramp in the woods, I will leave it to someone else to dig that bit of info out!! :D

Cor, talk about sloping shoulders!!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sounds like some sort of Backwoods Fondue to me ;)
Might be interesting with some fresh meat, mushrooms, a bannock on the side and something long and chilled to wash it all down.

Ogri the trog

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
... and also don't try to extinguish the pan with water either, if the oil inside happened to get too hot and set to flame in the pan. :eek:

Better throw a lid (or wet towel) on it and get it of the fire as safely as possible.

could you squeeze enough oil out of freshly collected nuts or seeds to do some frying?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE