Dedigitisation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I received my first Crook knife this weekend.

One observation and two questions.

O – Good God, crook knives can really make a mess of your fingers (typing this with my nose)

Q1 – What’s the best technique to use them with out causing dedigitisation! It seems very difficult to keep your fingers out of the way.

Q2 – What’s the best technique to sharpen them? I didn’t think mine was particular sharp when I received it. I have succeeded in knakering it, I think!

Thanks for any help.

AJB

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Andy,
I hope your not hurting too badly.
I find the best way to use a crook knife is to brace your knife arm against your body and use wrist action only to move the blade, this way you'll have a limited arc of movement of the cutting edge and it should be a case of keeping other bodyparts out of that arc. If you pull using your arm muscles, that arc can extend right across your chest and as you say cause de-digitisation. Take small cuts to further avoid exerting too much force.
As to sharpening, most recommendations say to use a piece of wooden dowel with wet and dry abrasive paper wrapped around it (progressively finer grades) for the inside surface and a normal flat stone will suffice for the outside surface. Pay attention to the angle you produce at the edge, you'll need to utilise flowing hand movements to get a sharp edge all along the blade.
Are you sure you want to make your crook sharper than it is already? ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
A bit of practice helps as well Andy. Within 5 mins of getting my crook knife out of the packet I was working out how to get the blood off the spoon I was carving and how to use my thumb with a curved hole in it. But after a few uses it seemed to come together and small cuts using your wrist, like ogri says, work much better.

Good luck

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
I couldn't really justify the expense of a crook knife so I dug out an old woodworking gouge and sharpened it up. It's about 8mm wide and it works great for carving spoon bowls. I also found a crook knife a bit awkward the one and only time I used one, the gouge is nice and easy to use though. It feels a lot safer to use as you can rest the spoon on a block and keep your fingers well away from the sharp end!

I've seen them for sale at car bootys for pence, pick one up and give it go.

Simon.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Quick question, if I'm holding my crook knife in my right hand should the cutting edge be facing away from me or towards me?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
sandbender said:
Quick question, if I'm holding my crook knife in my right hand should the cutting edge be facing away from me or towards me?

If you are right handed and holding it in your right hand the edge should be facing you.

I nearly sent mine back because I thought it was a left hander but I am assured by those in the know that you use it towards your thumb. Like I said before it feels strange (and painful) at first but it makes sense with practice.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
tenbears10 said:
I nearly sent mine back because I thought it was a left hander but I am assured by those in the know that you use it towards your thumb. .

Thanks for that, I have ten spoons with no bowls, so I better get the band aids out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE