Dedicated char cloth making tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A while back along with my candle moulds I received a dedicated charcloth making tin from Carl and Marcia Giordano over in the US.

I'd got sick of things like treacle tins coming apart at the seams and having the lids deform etc so when they mentioned they had made a tin for making charcloth with rolled solder free seams for a guy over there I asked if they could make me one.

Anyroad I finally had a need to make some char so cut up some scraps of 100% flax linen I'd saved and made a twig fire and cooked it up out back.

chartinused01.jpg

It did just what I wanted it to, didn't deform despite glowing red hot at times, lid came off and went on easy. I was a bit impatient so plugged the hole before it had completely stopped smoking hence the not completely charred material in the pic. Needless to say with flax it takes a spark from a strike-a-light great.

It's not on their website so you'll have to ask them for one and to see what the price is. The usually make top end replicas of 18th C tin items and I've found their prices great for such quality.

http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/index.htm

I'll freely admit I'm a friend of theirs now they are such lovely folk to deal with.

ATB

Tom

PS heres a pic you can see the side seams in

candlemolds01-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Interesting..

I use a screw lid Eley wasp pellet tin that I've had for about 25 years so it's a nice strong build. Does a great job :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Years back I allowed the hole in a screw lidded tin get blocked with some goo that melted from the lining or a bit of sythetic cloth that got mixed in, Doh!. Anyroad it went off like a bomb and I nearly wet myself! The lids still somewherein or near the amphitheatre in Keele woods...

With 3 sons who like whacking sparks out we tend to get through a lot of charcloth so the old nikwax tin we used wasn't big enough, and no where near as tarty!

As well as the new tin we made a batch with a treacle tin but the rims so deformed after a few uses the lid keeps falling off. We'll get though the lot in a month or two

charclothused02.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE