Decorative ropework

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Since being coached through the "how-to", of photo posting, theres no holding this child back.

I had promised to show some of my ropework , when I got the measure of photo posting and what you see here, is part of what hangs in my nautical corner.

DSCF0550.jpg

The knife and spike have been "users" for longer than I care to remember, but the rest is just eyecandy.

,Course, what I really do think I need, is a couple of Whaling harpoons, just to finish things off.! but the wife,s dead against it, for reasons I cannot possibly imagine.

Ceeg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
women eh!?!?!?

seriously though - nice work mate! - are they knives at each end?

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
What we got here, lets see.
L to R is;
Spike case, spike, working knifesheath, working knife and eyecandy handle in eyecandy sheath.
And on the top, its two more , unused deck knives laid end to end, in a cockscombed sleeve.

Yep, I think thats right, but hunger is distracting me, its time for chow.

Cultr fellahs.

Ceeg

To think, I used to give these things away as good work awards. !

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher, Ketchup.

Nah, it aint fixed to the handle with glue or anything, its just that the whole knot is "bullied-up" with a small swedish fid and a pair of small pliers. And it just dont move at all.

Ceeg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thats very nice work i've been wanting to do a set of beckets for a while but never found anyone to teach me and show me where i was going wrong

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Mojofilter and Redflex; thanks for interest fellahs.

You know, I can,t but think that my kind of ropework is of only of a marginal interest and, I feel it would be the wrong side of "off-topic" , for me to go posting long-winded and ,mostly, boring nautical how-to,s.

It is, after all, a bushcraft site.

But, FYI the photo shows mainly a basic form of "palm and needle" hitching , with the odd Turkshead and Star knot......what else....some 8strand square sennit , a little coachwhipping and a bit of cockscombing.

I dont wish to sound churlish about this , fellahs, but like I say, I dont really want to pursue this, on Forum., I,ll have everyone knocking out ZZZZZZZZ,s, bigtime.

However, if you have ropework projects in hand that you need a "drag-out" with, or any othersuch queries; then just pm me and I would be pleased to help .

Red, if youre interested, then raise old Des Pawson, for he can give you chapter and verse, on Cats. Theres also a few in Ashley and easily understandable.

Keep practising!

rgds
Ceeg

Whoops, got it wrong, its Mojo, innit. Sri.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I don’t know seagull if leather braiding and knife making can be discussed on this site then I think rope and knot work can be classed as DIY and traditional craft too after all it is an old craft be it nautical or not. I came to bushcraft and knots through scouting (as did many others here) and the two go hand in hand in hand with me there have been numerous threads on knots and lanyards rope making and cordage, knots fit very nicely with all those Ashley has even been discussed and there are a number of us who own a copy. Discussions of sinets and decorative rope work would be of interest to many on this site some may use the information to go and make things other may get interested in decorative rope work and others may just look on with admiring eyes at the level of craftsmanship and patience it takes to make a bell rope or a set of beckets.

Don’t do yourself down knots are great and very interesting show us what you got ( if you’ve got the time and inclination that is ):D

By the way thanks for the pm I’ve not had chance to reply as it been one heck of a day but my biggest problem is getting traditional materials to make beckets I end up trying to use rubbish nylon and what ever I make never seams to look any good

James

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think your mistaken Ceeg, this is exactly the sort of handcraft that appeals to folks who like to sit at peace with the world and make something that's not only useful but has it's own beauty and skill.
I think knotwork would make an excellent tutorial series; take one at a time and let us get the hang of it and not feel like numpties when we ask kind of obvious questions.
Little things, like I need a tight round *button*, about 1.5cm diameter, with two ends coming out of it to use as the tie for a sporran, or key fobs or Sandbender, Troy and JFW were all having a go at slings, and there must be other knotwork designs than just plaiting the sides.

Thanks for posting though, nice work, fascinatingly complex.

Cheers,
Toddy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Toddy said:
I think your mistaken Ceeg, this is exactly the sort of handcraft that appeals to folks who like to sit at peace with the world and make something that's not only useful but has it's own beauty and skill.
Toddy

I agree!

Cummon Ceeg - teach us buddy! - we're willing if you are able ;)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
,,,,,Should,ve kept my gob shut. shouldnt I.

How, I ask how, in the name of sweet JC can anyone do this over the www? eh!

I have taught loads of people, but always at sea and always right there with them; watching what they do, as they actually do it and putting ,em to rights, talking it through, and turning a blind eye to the ropestore being ransacked, something rotten!

I,ts a bit of a fix , this, for sure . What! it would be something like the old fashioned postal chess games.

Theres another interest which I ,ve followed for a long time and, like ropework, some of the techniques are highly dependent on, amongst others, a manual fluency and dexterity.
Its Bonsai and todays mags are absolutely "wick" with more "split-second photos " , than you could shake a stick at.
Personally, I dont think that suchlike are a great practical help ,,,,,,,and I know, for certain, that nowt in either ropework or such, beats the real, live ,doing and see-ing .

So, a photo sequence aint going to be of much help to you sorting out the best way of learning ropework. It has just got to be " hands-on", people. Just do it over and over and over again, and keep in practise..................its the learning curve , a tactile neccessity that every individual has to go through, for themselves.

I aint ducking here.......... Lookit, if any of you play music, then ask yourself this:

did you learn the scales yourself , or someone learned them for you?

How.s that grab you?

Yeah, OK , I will post some more pics and maybe you,ll be incited to want to make some yourselves.........................And if you need a hand, then PM me ,by all means.

This was supposed to be a quick reply,
See! I tend to ramble-on.

May your Sheepshank never short-circuit!

Ceeg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Theres a couple more photo,s of my stuff, in the Gallery.

Oh, I forgot to mention another important tip for anyone trying for a pair of beckets: IMHO, beginning with the forming of the core, its best to progress with the two together and do a bit on one, then the same on the other .

I,ve found that this simple process helps keep focus on symmetry .

Ceeg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Whoa-ho! they should never have let me know how to post photos!

Quality, not good; Sticks are mostly Turkhead with Chequer finials.
DSCF0557.jpg

Mats ;are Danish pastry shop style, as per Des,s book.

Mixture of cords; Some black bitumee(the real stuff, it reeks of tar), some Hempex, a lot of Band Q stuff, including white cotton washing line and a light green polyprop. Well, at least its green ,not the ever present blue!

Eye catching colours, but, in truth, I prefer all natural fibre .

Has that Sheepshank been sorted out yet?

Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE