Decline of Army / Navy Surplus stores

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Armies in Europe are smaller now, and surplus comes up most when armies are reduced in size.
Even Millets used to be good before they started selling neon poly-carbon carp.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Didn't Anchor Supplies used to be owened (it may still be) by a family who basically collected army surplus kit. I seem to remember seeing something on the news about them YEARS ago, and that they had to open a shop or something to be allowed to keep going.

Shops are certainly in decline. Local to me, John's Army Surplus is down to one shop, and lots of it is Chinese repro kit, and the one in Croydon, which was an excellent source of German para boots, is long gone :(

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
the guy was an absolute bullsnot artist and used to tell anyone that come into his shop that he was ex pathfinders and SAS.

Been working with a guy for the last couple of years who's tried(very succesfully)to feed everyone the same story, luckily he's been off sick since last july, and hopefully they'll sack him. His lies have found him out, and not seen him since.

Rob

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
I talked to a big Dutch surplus owner recently and he had a story I also read on BCUK.

The found a full battalion of African Pirates with Dutch Surplus uniforms . All with the badges and Country flags on them.
So that shocked the Goverments in the EU.

He told me that all new stuff has to be stripped down all badges. The German sell there stuff with 5000 pounds extra deposit. When you send back the Badges and Flags the will return the 5000 pound to you.
All countrys in the EU are now doing this stuff. For a Surplus store who buys like 300 jackets its a big thing to get all the flags off.

They Dutch are destroying there stuff now. Ore just put some purple paint on them. A shame!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
I talked to a big Dutch surplus owner recently and he had a story I also read on BCUK.

The found a full battalion of African Pirates with Dutch Surplus uniforms . All with the badges and Country flags on them.
So that shocked the Goverments in the EU.

He told me that all new stuff has to be stripped down all badges. The German sell there stuff with 5000 pounds extra deposit. When you send back the Badges and Flags the will return the 5000 pound to you.
All countrys in the EU are now doing this stuff. For a Surplus store who buys like 300 jackets its a big thing to get all the flags off.

They Dutch are destroying there stuff now. Ore just put some purple paint on them. A shame!

not somali pirates are they! i imagine that would be a shock to any dutch ships that get taken over lol
i remember back in the day seeing perfectly good jackets, webbing pouches etc being slashed with a stanley blade before being released for surplus sale. absolute waste if you ask me.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
internet shops are ok but I do like a good old rummage around the stock looking for those fantastic bargins and must have bits of kit

I have a couple of good ones near me , Platoon in Bury and Nicks kit near Oldham both old fashioned proper shops , no connection by the way just a satisfied customer

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
There is (or was recently) a good one in Glasgow, at the far end of argyle st, and there is another good one in Lanark, just outside the railway station.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I remember as a lad, the surplus store in St Mary's, Southampton. A treasure trove and yess, THAT smell. Sadly the place has long gone.

There are a couple of good stores in Bournemouth. BASE in Charminster is fairly old school, not much repro stuff. Can be a bit iffy on pricing sometimes so it pays to do your research and walk away if the price is too high. I paid over the odds a few times before I cottoned on. But I've also picked up some bargains there.

Also Frontline at Landsdown, Bournemouth. Getting a lot better under new management. Used to be mainly repro stuff and still sells alot of repro trousers etc. But he's just down the road from both the college and university's town centre campus so I imagine the students like it. However Dave knows his surplus and is gradually stocking more genuine surplus. Less equipment than clothing sadly though.

I'll probably be making the drive to Exeter soon to visit Endicotts again. I keep drooling at their website.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE