Decent legal carry penknife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
What's the current advice on the better UK legal carry penknives?

I like the look of the UKPK, though I would prefer something less tactically styled, but the price is somewhat high. Hey, I am a man of very limited means. :(

Anything else out there which, functionally, is somewhere between a locking folder and a penknife?

Cheers for your suggestions which will no doubt drown me in further quandries : )

cant beat a Swiss Army knife
I use the basic Victorinox Spartan but would have pereferd the next model up with the saw as they are actually very usfull for their size

if you want a Lock knife move up to the Victorinox locking range with bigger blades this would be my EDC if lockers where legal for that

ATB

Duncan

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Nice suggestions - I have a couple of SA's, myself. However, what I'm really after is something that has a locking/non-locking mechanism which is similar to the UKPK. Any ideas? Am I right in thinking that Spyderco is making some new UKPKs?

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
mayfly said:
I have a U1 I got from Morch which I like very much :)

Chris

I'm glad you like it Chris ;)

I'm currently using a Falkniven U2 which is supposed to be my sons :rolleyes: but to be honest, i can see myself going back to my Opinel, just can't beat it for the money.

Dave

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Yes, the Farmer looks cool (of course he's the bloody farmer, etc etc) but isn't the Fallk U2 a locknife? If so, it's not what I'm after.

Let me re-phrase.... Is there another knife with properties similar to the UKPK (ie non-locking but harder than a standard penknife to close) but possibly without the high price tag / without the tactical design?

Yes, yes. I want the moon on a stick.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
there is talk across on British Blades that Spyderco are making more UK legal folders that are less tactical looking than the UKPK. Someone's also selling a Fallkniven U1 on BB at the moment, it's UK legal but I don't know how the slipjoint compares with the UKPK. It's a pretty little knife though.

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
Mantic said:
Yes, the Farmer looks cool (of course he's the bloody farmer, etc etc) but isn't the Fallk U2 a locknife? If so, it's not what I'm after.

Let me re-phrase.... Is there another knife with properties similar to the UKPK (ie non-locking but harder than a standard penknife to close) but possibly without the high price tag / without the tactical design?

Yes, yes. I want the moon on a stick.

I think Spyderco have some ideas.

In the meantime: Get yourself over to Bladeforums/Traditional folders and fixed blades & do some reading. Ask a few questions, they're decent blokes & can point you in the right direction.
Generally they prefer carbon steels like 1095 or the newer cutlery steels like D2, ATS34, etc.
Those boys like to have plenty of snap & can suggest a number of knives that will feel similar to the UKPK in terms of force required to close them.
Older knives often have stronger springs than modern knives too. It may be worth looking around antique / collectors fairs, shops & the like.

The MOD pocket knives have pretty hard snap too, and the marlin spike is pretty useful.

You could also talk to Wrangler on BB. He had some 1950's Kissing Cranes sodbusters & harness jacks with springs that are really stiff. I feel pretty comfortable that I'd have to do something really stupid to have an accident with mine.

At the end of the day though, if you're worried about the knife closing on you, then you're not using it right! ;)
Seriously, it just needs a little more thought before you start cutting. :)

Good luck with the search, & feel free to PM / e-mail me if you think I can help any.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
FGYT said:
??? what is a locking non locking meck if it locks its not legal carry ie opinals

Duncan

I think I get what you're querying here.... What I'm referring to is a non-locking mechanism that requires more force to close than a standard penknife. Spyderco (with plenty of input from BB), came up with the UKPK - a UK legal penknife which has a stiff joint for the opening / closing the blade. A locking blade is always preferable to a non-locking blade but our knife laws being as they are, locking blades are often illegal to carry.

Most of the time, I can carry my locking Spyderco without any legal concerns (due to my job). However, there are times when I can't use that reason and so, would prefer to remain within the law by using a penknife. I would prefer one that is less likely to close on my fingers....

As to Ratel10mm, how dare you acuse me of not using my knife correctly! Huzzah! I throw down my gauntlet sir and demand restitution! :)

Very helpful comments though Ratel10mm and Justin T - cheers.

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
Mantic said:
I
As to Ratel10mm, how dare you acuse me of not using my knife correctly! Huzzah! I throw down my gauntlet sir and demand restitution! :)

C'mon then! Reckon you can cut 5 1" dia. free hanging ropes in one go?

There's a cutting comp. at Jack's Hammerin in May! :D

See you there. :p ;)

Thinks: Uh Oh, what if this guy actually does know how to use a knife??? That could get :eek: :eek:

:lmao:

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
MitchelHicks said:
Remember theres an article on knife laws

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8233

Your saying about a legal lock knife there isnt one I know its been covered earlyer on in the thread but anything below 3 inch which doesnt lock is legal I think. So make sure your knife is the right one good luck finding it happy hunting

Your warning is well noted and graciously received. It's good that the bushcraft community have taken this issue on board(s).

However, lock knives are legal to carry as long as the bearer has a good reason for carrying such an article (and 'for work' is considered to be an acceptable defence - obvioulsy if said work requires such an item). This is why I said that locking blades are 'often' illegal to carry in the UK. My knowledge of the various UK knife laws is pretty solid but as I said, thank you for the warning.

Ratel10mm - cutting 5 1inch drop ropes? Can I use my bare hands :) Hey, I'm reasonably handy with a knife but probably not THAT handy. I'll have to look into this - sounds like a hoot! And no, you're not boring me at all - very informative and that's fine with me.

Your suggestion re the antique fairs was inspired. As it happens, I have a couple of 1940's MOD blades (probably just what you're talking about). They're a bit cumboresome and I had them set aside as part of my non-use collection. Never thought of carrying them as I never really concerned myself with the laws (as I always used to have reasons for carrying a locker). I put an arm hair shaving edge on one this morning, whilst the kids ate breakfast.

Once again, many thanks.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Mantic said:
I put an arm hair shaving edge on one this morning, whilst the kids ate breakfast.

That's one way to ensure they get enough fibre in their diet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE