Opinions Sought - Spyderco UKPK vs. Boker Plus XS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I'm in the mood to buy a new EDC. My Maxpedition Jumbo comes with a sheath pouch on the outside which I think would be ideal for a knife with a clip. I've narrowed down my choices to either a Spyderco UKPK or a Boker Plus XS.. I'd welcome the opinions of those who have handled one, or both of these knives.

Given the UK's somewhat daft knife laws, I'm keen to get a non locking knife with the tightest spring you can practically get away with so as to have as close to a locking blade as possible. Accordingly I am already leaning toward the Boker since its spring is reputed to be too powerful if anything. That's what I want. The UKPK on the other hand is generally regarded to have only one real fault, a weak lockup. Additionally, to my eye the Boker looks much more robust than the UKPK, with a nice meaty blade. The UKPK looks elegant, but the blade looks thin to me. The Boker has one other advantage as well, it is £10 cheaper :)

These impressions all come from reading reviews online and examining pictures, but I've never held either knife.

Is the Boker the knife for me, or have I overlooked the UKPK too quickly?

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Neither are to my taste I'm afraid. Too tacticool. I prefer traditional natural materials.

Have you discounted friction folders?

Pretty much. When I think of friction folders I think of a Opinel with the vibralock ring removed. Maybe there are ones that aren't like that, but to my mind I wouldn't feel safe or confident using a non-locking blade with no spring.

I also have a confession to make - I like tacticool :) I thought about it for a long time, and I've come to the conclusion that tacticool accessories are unfairly maligned. That's not to say I don't like traditional materials, but I've had bad experiences choosing knives based on their looks rather than whether they will do what I want them to do.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I have the spyderco UKPK. I don't use it very often, but it's good for what it is. The blade takes a good sharpen and stays sharp as long as you'd expect. The spring is definitely a little loose though. I've had one little accident with it, although that was mostly my own fault. As far as slippies go, it feels a lot bigger than it is and it is more useable than a swiss army knife blade of a similar size.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Pretty much. When I think of friction folders I think of a Opinel with the vibralock ring removed. Maybe there are ones that aren't like that, but to my mind I wouldn't feel safe or confident using a non-locking blade with no spring.

I also have a confession to make - I like tacticool :) I thought about it for a long time, and I've come to the conclusion that tacticool accessories are unfairly maligned. That's not to say I don't like traditional materials, but I've had bad experiences choosing knives based on their looks rather than whether they will do what I want them to do.

Thinking more like a svord peasant or a Kroo with the little tang you hold down with your thumb. NPD made me a little cracker.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love knives - all knives - except a few that are really bad The UKPK is really bad - dreadful lockup, uncomfortable handle with square edges that causes hotspots in a nano second, silly blade design that is too wide to pass under tight packing tapes. Hate it - it languishes in a drawer somewhere.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have two UKPKs and don't have the boker, nor have I tried the boker.

In regards to the spring, I wouldn't get too concerned about it personally. The design of having the finger in the choil makes for a great safety design and while I don't think it's essential in a slipjoint, it does work well. i have another knife that has a choil the same but with a very weak spring and I have no issues in use.

Personally I would go for the UKPK based on the grind type - I much prefer a flat ground knife in this style.
There are plenty of happy owners of the Boker too and so I don't think you'll go too wrong with either. ;)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I love knives - all knives - except a few that are really bad The UKPK is really bad - dreadful lockup, uncomfortable handle with square edges that causes hotspots in a nano second, silly blade design that is too wide to pass under tight packing tapes. Hate it - it languishes in a drawer somewhere.

Don't be so mean to it. :p

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Glad I'm not alone, I don't understand the fixation with them, ugly looking, uncomfortable, soulless things.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't be so mean to it. :p

One of the very few knives to make my "wouldn't take it as a free gift" list - it has one redeeming feature which is one handed opening EDC, other than that I cannot think of a single thing I like about it (seriously)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Different strokes for different folks. To me they just work. Love em. Used to have another but dismantled it to tinker and had bits nicked while it was in pieces! :D that was the first one I had. I bought the others later.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have owned and used both. The UKPK is much better built, not that the Boker is not a god knife but the blade is very thin.
Both are very scary looking to none knife folk so bear that in mind pen knife regulations or not.
Both can be opened one handed easily which is a great feature.
Red mentions is is uncomfortable but i find the UKPK fine and I like the lockup and blade shape. But all said i would consider the UKPK a workhorse for general cutting and food prep. It is not a good blade for whittling.

Carried the Boker for a few months and the UKPK daily for about 5 years.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've got both and like them both. The Boker is built like a tank and is a good solid lock up. The UKPK are excellent knives, I used to have the FRN version but didn't like it, felt cheap and the lock up wasn't very strong so it went, I now have orange G10 and Ti versions of the UKPK and they are excellent, well built, great steel and strong lock up but they aren't cheap or easy to get hold of.

Have you thought about an alox farmer? http://www.heinnie.com/Pioneer-Range-Farmer-Alox/p-0-0-9082/

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have the UKPK and like British Red I used it for a day and put it back in the box, a very uncomfortable tool to use I thought. The Boker might sit in the hand a bit better.

My day to day knife is based on a Benchmade body, it is a Doug Ritter folder, I love the thing, quite tacticool yes, but tough as nails and easy to clean. It locks though, so not much good to you.

British Red understandably wouldn't take a UKPK as a free gift, would you? PM me a postal address and I'll get mine of to you when I'm back in Scotland in a week or two.

:)

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have the UKPK, like British Red I used it for a day and put it in a box, a very uncomfortable tool to use I thought. The Boker might sit in the hand a bit better. My day to day knife is based on a Benchmade body, it is a Doug Ritter folder, I love the thing, quite tacticool yes but tough as nails and easy to clean. It locks though so not much good to you.

British Red understandably wouldn't take a UKPK as a free gift, would you? PM me a postal address and I'll get mine of to you when I'm back in Scotland in a week or two.

:)

What a gent!

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
That's very generous Sandbender, thanks. If it turns out the UKPK isn't for me, I'll do likewise and pass it on to someone who'll get some use out of it.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
If ya like traditional have a look at the German otter knives. I have a Sheep foot in white bone which is nice, It's better finished than a A;Wright and has a better spring. The steel is the same but mine holds and edge better than my A.Wright Lamb foot. It feels a tad harder. The review on UK legal is mine.

http://www.uk-legal-knives.com/otter-knives-germany-sheep-foot-blade-pocket-knife-carbon-steel-bone-handle-165k-1468-p.asp

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Otter/Anker-Messer/p-92-1492-11285/

I also have a nice Carl Schlieper Sodbuster. It cuts very well, like a slightly thicker Opinel and is very well made. German ebay is your friend.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE