Deader than a bag of fish!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Strange title I know:eek: but that's what the Christmas tree sales site, here at Chopwell Wood, was like today, after the snow last night:rolleyes:

This was about 10pm last night;
PC190024copysmall10.jpg

it guffed down for several hours, leaving a good 6inches on the car overnight. I always put the car in the garage overnight but when I went out last night, it just sat there, wheels gently rotating but the car was going nowhere!:deadhorse:
I swore at it a bit, as I has just spent nearly ten minutes clearing the 1/4" of solid ice from the windows, after brushing off the snow!.

Anyway!
Me and my better half decided to take a walk down the wood this afternoon, to see how things were going.
It was a stunning afternoon, if bitterly cold and everything was very fresh and clean looking.

We got down to the main entrance to the wood:
PC200026copysmall9.jpg

The roads had been well and truly sorted out, overnight and through the morning and we expected the site to be pretty busy.

We continued into the wood and the first sign that things were unusual; was that the traffic was running both ways:confused: normally; they have a one way system in operation at weekends and everyone (except a few maniacs) exits the wood, from the top end.
the road was clear, so I thought that the forest track,exit road, must be impassable due to ice and snow.
PC200032copysmall8.jpg

however when we got to the site itself, it was, as the title suggests; Dead!:) I had been right, guessing the exit was u/s:
PC200049copysmall6.jpg

PC200053copysmall3.jpg

but there was hardly anyone there anyway:D
The usual stalwarts were manning the fort but there were no invaders to deal with.
Somewhat ironically, the snow had kept the punters away from the Christmas tree sales :)

So we paid our respects to friends and colleagues, declining the offer of mulled wine:yuck: and set off, 'into the wild'

PC200041copysmall7.jpg

The wood is, (as I suspect most woodland is) truly beautiful, when we get proper snow;
PC200057copysmall2.jpg

This is the old Chopwell road, closed for a good few years now but once, the main route, over the top of the hill to Chopwell.
PC200060copysmall1.jpg

PC200062copysmall11.jpg

After a couple of hours or so; We made our way back home, to a nice warm drink.

Hope you all stay safe and warm, wherever you are:bigok:

atb

R.B.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks lovely Steve. It's started snowing over here, and my wife rang me earlier and said that it's been snowing in West Cumbria. With the cold spell forecast to continue, I hope to have my second white Christmas. The first one doesn't really count anyway because I was working abroad at the time.
I just hope that Manchester airport isn't closed on the 23rd.

Cheers, Michael.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey R.B. does you have a grid ref for the area? I take it that there is a public right of way through the wood, or is it private land? I'm hoping to get one of the lads from work out for a short walk/brew up after the Christmas break, and the shots you've taken look really enticing :)

rancid badger

Hey R.B. does you have a grid ref for the area? I take it that there is a public right of way through the wood, or is it private land? I'm hoping to get one of the lads from work out for a short walk/brew up after the Christmas break, and the shots you've taken look really enticing :)

Well, its Forestry Commission land and yes there are a few r of w but its actually a woodland park in any case:)

If you google chopwell wood you should be able to find it easily enough.

a word of warning however; open fires are STRICTLY forbidden and we are keen to keep it that way. We've had too many illegal campers and wannabe bushcrafters turning up lately, destroying natural resources and leaving a hell of a mess at times.

I'm working on organising a 'meet' for like minded souls in the region, initially just a days worth but later on, possibly, a full weekend.
If nothing else; the idea is to try reach out to folk who are interested but have nowhere to learn/practice their pastime.

If you give me a pm when your coming, if I'm available, we might be able to arrange a meet up:)

for more info you could try the FC website or at a push:rolleyes: our own Friends of Chopwell Wood website.

atb

R.B.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
... I'm working on organising a 'meet' for like minded souls in the region, initially just a days worth but later on, possibly, a full weekend. If nothing else; the idea is to try reach out to folk who are interested but have nowhere to learn/practice their pastime ...

Although I've done my time, I had little interest in bushcraft skills whilst serving, although I did, and still do, lots of camping. I have little knowledge and no real skill, but I'm up for the coppicing in the new year and I'd be interested in attending any local meet if I'm not at work. I'll watch out for any posts, and PM when I am coming your way in the meantime.

rancid badger

Nice pics Steve, does this mean you have a pile of soggy unsold trees and will it scupper the finances for the next year?

Well they did better than ever, the weekend before apparently, so it should all balance out:)

We get our cut regardless,as its a contractor who actually sells the tree's. We look after the car parking, catering and general admin.

There were certainly a few unsold trees, when I went down earlier today but less than I expected to be honest.

atb

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE