DD Vs Alpkit tarps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a tarp (tent broke and since I joined the reserves I've discovered the joy of the bivvi and basha) but not sure what to get. Seen a lot of talk about the DD tarps on here, which have th advantage of coming in multicam, but I was checking out the Alpkit site, similar sized tarp but cheaper and about half the weight. Can anyone explain why this is? And does anyone have experience of the two?

Cheers, oh and merry Christmas!

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i have both tarps
The rig 21 from alpkit and the dd xl
Both very good tarps.pack up about the same but the rig 21 is lighter and has more tie outs.double the price as well.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Wow, gone for the big ones. Any difference in build quality between the two? Or do they feel pretty similar?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I haven't used either so can't comment on build quality. As for the difference in weight. The Alpkit tarp is Silnylon, and the DD tarps (Non ultralight version) are PU coated, which is heavier. You could debate for hours on which is better.

Personally if it was me, lightness wins and I would go for the Alpkit over the DD.

J

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Like Ade, I've got both, and the DD is perfectly fit for purpose but the Alpkit is at another level with the material used, the reinforcement of the tie out points and the additional side tie outs too, it's a very well made bit of kit and a pleasure to use.

So the DD will do the job fine, but if your budget stretches you'll not regret the Alpkit.

Cheers, Paul

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I haven't used either but before you buy have a think about what configurations you might want to use. I use an issue basha but its not that big and is quite heavy (although robust) so is quite limited configurations wise. DD do a discount for service personnel (via their website).

Good link here: http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/tarp-tutorial/

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I have both and also the DD ultralight. They are all great in their own way. The Alpkit is a great balance between weight and durability but the DD is more durable and the ultralight even lighter. I haven't seen a multicam DD in the flesh but I did buy a DPM one once as it was cheaper, however the pattern was pretty poor in UK woodlands and you lost out on tie out points.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
but I was checking out the Alpkit site, similar sized tarp but cheaper and about half the weight. Can anyone explain why this is?

This has been addressed in passing in other comments but in case you missed it - the Alpkit tarps are NOT cheaper , for example they sell the Rig 21 ( 4.3 x 2.8 m ) at £85, whereas Greenman Bushcraft sell the DD Tarp XL ( 4.5 x 3 m ) for £40 or £46 if you want multicam. That's a rather large difference!

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Hey guys, sorry been away for a couple of days. Thanks for the all the advice, plenty to think about (and it'll be a while until I can afford either so plenty of time to think as well)

Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE